[Wsssc] SBCTC: WSSSC Follow-Up & Resources

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:25:20 PST 2023

Dear WSSSC Colleagues,

My sincere gratitude for the warm and gracious welcome. Your engagement and thoughtfulness concerning 2023 bills was immediately helpful and informative. Best of all, your enthusiasm and dedication to our mission is truly inspiring. I am honored to be apart of such a knowledgeable and committed team and I look forward to our work together.

As a follow-up to our time together, below and attached include several important documents including the Operational Governance PowerPoint and ctc-enhancement quick links handout; student conduct resources from Bruce Marvin; a link to the WSSSC expertise poll; review of hot bills; an update on Get-Inclusive accessibility; and our group photo. If I have missed any follow-up items or resources, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thank you in advance for reviewing and responding to the items below.

New Member-at-Large & Representative to MSSDC

  *   Thank you to Patrick McEachern, Spokane Falls, our new member-at-large for WSSSC
  *   Thank you to Jamilyn Penn, Highline, new WSSSC representative to the Multicultural Student Services Directors Council.

WSSSC Areas of Expertise Survey and 1:1 time with Lauren

  *   You each bring a unique set of experiences, talents, skills, and knowledge. Please don't be shy in sharing where you have invested your professional time and energy. Please complete this WSSSC Member Expertise Survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/L2ZJQLN>.
  *   For those that are interested, I would like to meet to learn more about you, your students, the college, and how the agency can support your efforts. Please follow this Doodle Poll<https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/eXQPyP5a> link to let us know your availability for a 30min VP check-in meeting with Lauren.

Weekly Hot Topics

  *   A calendar invite for HOT TOPICS will soon be disseminated for Thursdays, from 8:00-9:00am. Suggested topics and participation are encouraged.

Attached Presentations
              AAG Presentation & Materials from Bruce Marvin, hbruce.marvin at atg.wa.gov<mailto:hbruce.marvin at atg.wa.gov>

        *   Student Conduct Academy materials, Student Conduct Handbook, attached.
        *   Volume of student conduct training materials prepared for Presiding Officers, attached.
        *   Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), here are two links that may be useful.  The first is to 16 C.F.R. 314.4<https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-314/section-314.4>, which sets out the elements of an information security program that financial institutions, including IHEs, must implement to protect clients' financial information in order to comply with the GLBA.  The second is to University of Washington's policy regarding compliance with GLBA<https://ciso.uw.edu/risk-mgmt/compliance-risk/glba/>.
              CTC Enhancement and WSSSC Resources Grant Rodeheaver, grodeheaver at sbctc.edu<mailto:grodeheaver at sbctc.edu>

        *   PPT: Operational governance update
        *   NEW: Quick Links for WSSSC, including where enhancement can be found.

Accessibility Updates

  *   Get Inclusive:
     *   I have connected with Monica Olsson, SBCTC Accessibility coordinator, detailing Get-Inclusive concerns. She shared that a parent company bought out the original provider. To address the ongoing accessibility concerns, Monica recommends a joint letter from WSSSC leadership applying pressure to Get Inclusive to fix the known issues and provide us with an updated timeline. Additionally, Monica has suggested Clark and Centralia consider joining the higher education accessibility user group that Get Inclusive recently started on Slack to voice concerns.
     *   Lastly, SBCTC and the Colleges get to decide what we want to do when the contract expires with Get Inclusive in 2025. We can push for an aggressive accessibility clause in our contract if we renew or choose to walk away and pursue other solutions.

2023 Bill Tracking Student Services (Highlights)

     *   SB 5079: Tuition Operating fees established
     *   SB 5329: Addressing fees at campuses other than the main campus
     *   HB 1559: Establishing the Student Basic Needs for postsecondary education act
     *   HB 1545: Prohibiting vaccinations for online students
     *   SB 5513: Concerning mental health counseling at community and technical colleges
     *   HB 1002: Increasing the penalty for hazing in the criminal code, elevating some forms of hazing to a felony offense.
     *   5305/1374: Establishing the Office of Career Connect Washington
     *   SB 5048: Eliminates college in the high school fees
     *   HB 1003: Expanding access to dual credit programs.
     *   HB 1146: Notifying high school students and their families about available dual credit programs and any available financial assistance.
     *   SB 5670: Allowing 10th grade student to enroll in RS if online

A Little Fun (thanks for the idea, Karl!)

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D937B4.692D2EB0]

[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu*<mailto:lhibbs at sbctc.edu*> o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."