[LIBRARYDIR] Circulating Chromebooks...

Goodwin, MaryAnn MaryAnn.Goodwin at ccs.spokane.edu
Fri Mar 17 16:17:58 PDT 2017

CCS Libraries circulate over 160 laptops (including a number of MacBooks) as well as other technology, including internet hotspots, kindles, nooks, and goPros.  We don’t have a huge problem with breakage or loss—and the circ staff is good at filling out police reports when equipment fails to return in a timely manner in spite of repeated requests to return it.

Attached is information about our circulation policies as well as a copy of the form students sign each quarter to authorize use of laptops.

Each laptop is scrutinized carefully upon return as noted below:

·         Student returns laptop to circulation desk. Laptop is checked for damage while the student is still present.  If damage is noted:

·                       Damage process is explained to student.

·                       Damaged laptop is sent to IT for a quote on repair cost.

·                       IT e-mails quote to circulation supervisor.

·                       Supervisor e-mails the quote to the student and places a charge on their college account for the cost of the repair.

·                       Because our student body is economically fragile, our students are given until the first week of the following quarter to pay

the charges before their equipment borrowing privileges are suspended. This gives them time to pay the charges using their financial aid surplus from the following quarter. Students who do not pay by the following quarter are prohibited from checking out laptops until they have paid the prior charges.

The library also pays for repairs when damage cannot be attributed to a student.

Hope this is helpful,

Mary Ann

Mary Ann Lund Goodwin, Ed. D.
Executive Director | CCS Libraries
Community Colleges of Spokane | 509-533-3820
maryann.goodwin at ccs.spokane.edu<mailto:maryann.goodwin at ccs.spokane.edu>

[CCS_color]