[LIBRARYDIR] Circulating Chromebooks...

Vivienne Mcclendon vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu
Fri Mar 17 17:57:22 PDT 2017

We have a variety of laptops (about 20) at Bellevue College including some light netbook types all the way to some that could be used for a boat anchor. They are checked out for a 4 hour loan period. We also have a veritable truckload of other laptops we manage for programs and grant projects on campus. We now require all project laptops come with a laptop cart for storage and charging. We do not deal with the replacement of project laptops but rather notify them of the damage.

We are not funded by the campus for these despite the fact they are only used by students. Oddly, there is little money available for discretionary use of student tech fees. We have been calculating a depreciated amount for the boat anchors, and charging the full amount ($350) for the light netbooks. But the truth is many of our students are also economically insecure and appeal for a reduced fine. We have cut it in half on the two that were damaged since purchase. They are not worth repairing. We have allowed a few students who make payments and we have a repayment plan agreement form.

We have a checkout form (including a photo of the item and a list of any parts/kit) students must fill out and leave on file before checking out expensive equipment. We keep those on file outside of ALMA along with a photocopy of the student’s ID. The form stipulates the lending period and requires a signature and a check box as acknowlegement of the cost of the equipment and payment procedures.

I’m actually having my media staff do a small survey among users in spring to determine what the computers are used for (self reported). My staff claims that only a small group actually check them out. We do have tabletop signs letting students know that laptops, cell phone chargers, headphones and other electronic goodies are available for check out. Once the survey is complete, my team will review the findings and let me know if the laptops serve an ongoing need among students.

Please let me know if you are interested in any of our forms.
Vivienne
Vivienne McClendon, Ph.D., MLIS
Dean, Library Media Center, D260H
Bellevue College  |  425.564.3056  |
Bellevue, WA 98007-6484
vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu<file:///emailto/%20vivienne.mcclendon@bellevuecollege.edu>
*We’re on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/BellevueCollegeLibrary

[cid:B2E9FB55-D6FF-4FE4-B975-083B0C806710]