[Wsssc] Training around avoiding hostile environment

Matthew Campbell MCampbell at pierce.ctc.edu
Thu Jul 22 11:31:02 PDT 2021

Thanks, Glen …curious what other folks might be contemplating. As of yet, I don’t believe the AG’s office has fully vetted the stink eye clause in the updated Student Code of Conduct.

In the meantime, we have started to contemplate this and I think there are a couple “first steps” that might be helpful.

One might be to encourage mask-wearing …it’s short of requiring but also suggests that some folks may be wearing masks because it was encouraged, not because they are not vaccinated.

The second is general marketing/communication about assumptions and expectations for care and grace. That is, promoting the reality that wearing a mask does not mean that someone is or isn’t vaccinated …it means they have chosen to wear a mask. Indeed, they may have a medical reason that prevents vaccination, may have children at home who cannot be vaccinated and want the added precaution, and/or may be making the decision to support and protect others (since there are still unknows, particularly around variants).

I believe some regular campus communications in a variety of formats capturing some of these ideas could be helpful in this regard.

I also believe that these responses will be racialized, both with regard to judging those with/without a mask and to “policing” and who is confronted and why (both on the part of students and employees). We will, as always, need to intentionally state and model our expectations to support marginalized communities.

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew Campbell, Ed.D. (he/him/his)

Vice President, Learning & Student Success

Pierce College Puyallup

p: 253.840.8419