[Wsssc] Training around avoiding hostile environment

Cosby, Glen Glen.Cosby at scc.spokane.edu
Thu Jul 22 11:07:28 PDT 2021

Colleagues, as we attempt to implement the Governor’s amended directive for higher education with its distinction between vaccinated and non-vaccinated campuses, a potential flashpoint was raised by one of our student leaders and I was wondering if any of you have developed or are in the process of developing programming/training to address it.  The flashpoint in question is the potential for vaccinated (and presumably unmasked) students creating a hostile learning environment for non-vaccinated (and therefore presumably masked) students, or vice versa.  If you’ve ever been on the receiving end or witnessed the giving of the old proverbial “stink eye” in a grocery store or other public venue, and perhaps even snide or aggressive comments, then you know what I’m talking about.  I assume that this will be an issue primarily, if not exclusively, encountered by those colleges that choose to designate themselves as vaccinated, which is the plan with both SCC and SFCC.  So there you have it.  Anybody have any wisdom to share?  I’m fresh out 😊

[cid:image001.png at 01D77EE9.9D868EC0]

Glen A Cosby, Ph.D (preferred pronouns: he, him, his)
Vice President of Student Services
Spokane Community College
MS 2150
1810 N Greene St.