[Wactclc-primo] Trying to understand facets in Alma vs. facets in Primo

Dale Burke dburke at email.edcc.edu
Thu Oct 12 13:07:50 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Edmonds has recently started adding collections and portfolios to these
collections; however, we are confused by how some of the records look in
Alma and how they appear in Primo.

First Question:  We have MARC records that are coded as "journal" and we
would like to have them coded as "article".  For MARC records that we load
into Alma, the icon that shows on our records in Primo appears to come from
the coding in the leader line of the MARC record.  We cannot find a leader
line code for "article".  However, the "article" icon appears on items that
we have activated through either Alma or the PCI.  We can also see the PNX
records for both MARC loaded records and activated records, and the
activated records have the "article" icon coding, but the MARC records do
not.  Does anyone know how to get MARC loaded articles to show an "article"
icon rather than a "journal icon?

Second Question:  We were hoping to use the "Electronic material type" in
the portfolio as a work-around for the situation discussed above, but this
doesn't seem to work either.  We are trying to understand the relationship
between Alma facets and Primo facets.  It appears to us that on Portfolio
records the "Electronic material type" creates a facet in Alma. but has no
affect on Primo.  Attached is a document illustrating why we are frustrated
with "Electronic material type"  We were hoping to be able to use the
"Electronic material type" on the portfolio record as a facet in Primo, but
that is not what we are finding.  Has anyone else ventured into this area
and discovered anything useful?

Thanks!

Dale Burke
Technical Services Librarian