[LIBRARYDIR] EDI resources

Coe, Erica ecoe at olympic.edu
Tue Jun 15 16:44:46 PDT 2021

For those not on the ELC list.

Thanks,
Erica
---------------------------------------

Hi everyone,
  We recently published a list of EDI resources on our internal website, and I wanted to share that list with you here, as well as ask if any of you have similar lists compiled by your colleges--if you do, it would be greatly appreciated if you could add those resources here (or email them to me): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vrcf5HlFK8lCE8zUPvHrGxWJ52oyEM3SgWQMrBpWQ0c/edit#heading=h.omunwxei9iss
[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kTCZ16Qlqh8yu9VJgTnVtRoZKpPIxowj5o6z9fRLqY1yLHqVqSOIa8R0-oM4TmfEV9w7jLncT7IERw=w1200-h630-p]<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vrcf5HlFK8lCE8zUPvHrGxWJ52oyEM3SgWQMrBpWQ0c/edit#heading=h.omunwxei9iss>
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Recommended Practices for Faculty - Google Docs<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vrcf5HlFK8lCE8zUPvHrGxWJ52oyEM3SgWQMrBpWQ0c/edit#heading=h.omunwxei9iss>
docs.google.com
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Recommended Practices for Faculty, 2021 A short list of key practices that assist faculty in taking action to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in their classes, curated by the WA eLearning Council in an effort to amplify the voices of historically underrep...
In the upcoming year, we'll be trying to condense these lists into a short list of high-impact resources.

Here's an example from GHC:

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Picks for Spring 2021

  *   Five Tips for Being an Ally<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dg86g-QlM0> (short video)
  *   What is Intersectionality?<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRGpF63TJ4> (short video)
  *   7 Types of Bias That Can Negatively Impact Your Workforce<https://intranet.ghc.edu/sites/default/files/offices-departments/ierp/diversity/NEOED-7-Types-of-Bias.pdf> (pdf)

More Resources
[https://intranet.ghc.edu/sites/default/files/offices-departments/ierp/images/allhands.png]Understanding Bias (conscious and unconscious)

  *   What is Unconscious Bias?<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVp9Z5k0dEE> (short video)
  *   White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack<https://intranet.ghc.edu/sites/default/files/offices-departments/ierp/diversity/Knapsack_plus_Notes-Peggy_McIntosh.pdf> (pdf)
  *   Understanding Microaggressions

     *   Understanding Microaggressions<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4N50b76cZc> (short video)
     *   Reacting to Microaggressions<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrCgBLoMxTQ> (short video)

Equity in hiring

  *   Are Your Diversity Strategies Missing the Mark? Nine Ways to Get it Right<https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/diversity-strategies/> (external website, podcast)
  *   Diversity Hiring is More Than a Checkbox. Building A Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Recruiting Strategy<https://www.macslist.org/for-employers/diversity-hiring-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-recruiting-strategy> (external website)
  *   5 Hiring Pitfalls To Avoid-If You Want Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in Leadership<https://nonprofitquarterly.org/5-hiring-pitfalls-to-avoid/> (external website)
  *   Blind Spots: Challenge Assumptions<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFcjfqmVah8> (short video)

Intercultural, Identity, and Racial Awareness

  *   To Speak up for Inclusion, we need to Speak about Inclusion<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBBirlVxVsg> (short video)
  *   The surprising solution to Workplace Diversity<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtUlRYXJ0vI> (video, 15min)
  *   Queer 101<http://www.roostertailscomic.com/comic/queer-101-third-edition/> (comic)
  *   Why Sharing Gender Pronouns at Work Matters<https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/sharing-gender-pronouns-at-work/> (external website)
  *   A Guide to Trans Allyship<https://transwhat.org/allyship/> (external website)

Bystander Intervention

  *   Free Bystander Intervention Training<https://www.ihollaback.org/bystander-resources/> (external website)

Creating an Equitable and Diverse Workplace & Classroom

  *   Top 10 Steps for Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Higher Education<https://peopleadmin.com/2016/03/diversity-guide-top-10-practical-steps-for-advancing-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-in-higher-education/> (external website)
  *   10 Simple Ways White People Can Step Up to Fight Everyday Racism<https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/non-racist-white-person/> (external website)
  *   Getting Called Out: How to Apologize<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xJXKYL8pU> ( short video)
  *   An Introduction to Content and Trigger Warnings<https://intranet.ghc.edu/sites/default/files/offices-departments/ierp/diversity/An-Introduction-to-Content-Warnings-and-Trigger-Warnings-Draft.pdf> (pdf, University of Michigan)
  *   Instead Of These Ableist Words, Use Inclusive Language At Work<https://www.huffpost.com/entry/disability-language-work_l_5f85d522c5b681f7da1c3839> (external website)

Recommended Reading

  *   White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
  *   So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
  *   Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-First Century by Alice Wong
  *   Blind Spot: Hidden Biases of Good People by Mahzarin R. Banaji and Anthony G. Greenwald
  *   American Islamophobia: Understanding the Roots and Rise of Fear by Khaled A. Beydoun
  *   This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism by Ashton Applewhite
  *   Messengers: Who We Listen To, Who We Don't, and Why by Stephen Martin and Joseph Marks

Jeremy Winn, MA Ed.
E-Learning Coordinator, Library and e-Learning
Grays Harbor College
360-538-4085
(he/el) <--what's this?<https://www.bottomline.org/content/support-gender-inclusive-pronouns>

waprofdev.com<http://waprofdev.com> - free training for WA higher ed professionals!