[ctcLinkfinaidsupport] Pell COA Bug

Brian Carroll bcarroll at sbctc.edu
Thu Jul 29 15:56:33 PDT 2021

Good afternoon,

We found that there is a bug that was delivered in PUM 20 that is causing the Pell COA amounts to be incorrectly calculated.  The situation that causes this incorrect Pell COA to be delivered is:

  1.  Student once "Active" / had enrollment in greater than one term for the aid year
  2.  Budgets were built for those active term records
  3.  Student becomes "Inactive" or "N" FA Load in at least one term for the aid year (commonly due to expected graduation date, or program plan discontinued)

The system was dividing the Pell COA over the multiple terms, and now that there are less terms it does not adjust the Pell COA calculation to account for the fewer terms that have a delivered budget greater than 0.  This amounts to a Pell COA being less than the Full Year / Full Time COA and causes issues when trying to award Pell.

The bug fix is slated for PUM image 22 which is scheduled to be installed mid-Sept.

We've found a solution in the interim which is attached to this email.  The solution provides steps to recalculate the Pell COA and a report that can be run to find students that may be impacted.  We recommend adjusting the budgets and reviewing the students Pell award amount.

Also, an invite to a work session will be sent out shortly.  In that work session, we will review the bug and the proposed solution.

[Compass]Brian Carroll
Functional Analyst, Campus Solutions (Financial Aid)
Information Technology Division
bcarroll at sbctc.edu<mailto:bcarroll at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-1841