[Wsssc] Funding of On-Campus Child Care Centers

Taga, Brendon btaga at olympic.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:08:11 PDT 2022

All,

I'm looking for information on funding child care centers on campus. As you can see from my signature line, I've temporarily taken over as the director of our center - it's a commitment for sure, but my background is in educational psych, child development, and learning disabilities.

As you all probably know, about 11 colleges in our system either never offered child care on campus or have stopped doing so.

At Olympic College, we're looking to stabilize our early learning center on campus and are current exploring all options, including pursuing a third party contract. We're committed to have services on campus and we started a process with labor a few weeks ago to discuss alternatives.

In terms of funding, we currently receive Head Start / Early Head funding and accept DCYF subsidies and private pay. A portion of our S&A student fees also go towards funding the center. We have also put a chunk of HEERF funding towards it. I'm curious as to funding and in particular, how much institutional dollars colleges are putting towards these centers, especially centers that serve as practicum sites.

If any of you are open to sharing information around how you finance child care, please be in touch. I'd gladly accept any info via email or even a phone conversation.

Thank you!

Brendon K. Taga, Ph.D., J.D.
Vice President of Student Services
Interim Director, Sophia Bremer Early Learning Center
(360) 475-7191 | btaga at olympic.edu<mailto:btaga at olympic.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01D879AE.DA7D3A20]