[Wsssc] Cross-Country Mask Usage Question

Jennifer Rhodes jrhodes at everettcc.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:33:11 PST 2021

Good morning Brendon and all,

Below please find the response from the AD at Everett CC, who serves as the
chair of XC/track sports committees for NWAC.

On Feb. 8th or 9th the WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Activities
Association) announced that they would not require masks to be worn during
competition for cross country and gymnastics.  This was approved through
the governor's office.

That prompted the NWAC to revisit with the governor's office and guidance
was given that athletes must wear their masks all the way up until race
start time, and then they could remove them just before race start.

I know there were several coaches that voiced concerns over wearing masks
during the race in our conference and all were thrilled once this was
announced.  Our protocols for our meet remained the same with the one
change that athletes could remove their masks right before the start of the
race and then put them back on at the conclusion of the race.

These mask guidelines are consistent with the other state documents that
have been released regarding other types of runs like 5ks, marathons, etc.

Warmly,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer Rhodes, M.Ed.
Interim Vice President of Student Services/

Everett Community College
jrhodes at everettcc.edu
p: 425.388.9509
f:  425.388.9177