[Wsssc] CARES Act Reporting Requirements

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Fri May 8 07:53:17 PDT 2020

WSSSC: as a follow-up to yesterday's discussion of this, here is what we know as of Wednesday aout the CARES Act reporting requirements. I will keep an eye out for further updates. The presidents, BAC, and IC should also be aware of this by now.
Education Department orders colleges to disclose how they're using stimulus money
By Michael Stratford
05/06/2020 05:34 PM EDT
The Trump administration on Wednesday instructed colleges that receive federal stimulus funding to publicly detail how they are distributing the money that is earmarked for emergency financial aid grants to students.
The economic rescue law, the CARES Act, H.R. 748 (116), set aside more than $6 billion to help college students cover expenses like food, housing and child care. Colleges have broad discretion on how they dole out that money among their students, though Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has encouraged schools to distribute the money based on students' financial needs.
Colleges that receive the funding will have to post publicly on their respective websites a report about how they're spending the money, according to new Education Department guidance<https://ifap.ed.gov/electronic-announcements/050620HigherEdEmergencyReliefFundRptg>.
The CARES Act already required colleges to submit reports to the Education Department on their use of stimulus money. But department officials are going further in mandating that each college publish the information online.
The report must include the total amount of money the college has received and how many of its students received emergency financial aid grants, the department said. It must also explain how a college determined which students would receive grants and how much they would be worth - as well as the "instructions, directions, or guidance" that college officials provided to students about the emergency grant program.
The information "must appear in a format and location that is easily accessible to the public," according to the department's guidance. Colleges must begin disclosing the information within 30 days of receiving the stimulus funding from the Education Department and update the document every 45 days afterward.
                             [Joe]

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."