[Wsssc] FW: Institutional Sign-On Letter Opposing DHS International Student Policy

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Fri Jul 10 12:08:05 PDT 2020

WSSSC: in case you weren't able to participate in the ACE/NAFSA webinar today, a few of my takeaways:

The MIT/Harvard suit will be heard on the 14th at 3:00 PM Eastern Time, with a decision by July 15. The filing requests a Temporary Injunction and Temporary Restraining Order (TRO). Colleges choosing to stay online for fall term will need to submit their revised operational plans by that date as well, and may not have the benefit of knowing what the judge's decision is.

The broadcast message from SEVS is not enforceable guidance in itself. There will need to be an issuance of temporary final regulations for that to be the case.

The broadcast message is applicable to both new and returning international students.

NAFSA will conduct a webinar on the 16th at 2:00 PM Eastern Time on the topic of practical approaches to meeting the requirements signaled by the broadcast message. Registration will be available later today at nafsa.org.

The Washington AG is planning to file its complaint today or Monday, also requesting a TRO.
                             [Joe]

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."