[Wsssc] Bylaws & Constitution Edits for Approval @ WSSSC Winter Meeting

Matthew Campbell MCampbell at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Jan 16 20:10:28 PST 2019

Good evening, all. Attached are three documents for review prior to the Winter WSSSC Meeting, at which we will call for a vote on approval of the attached edits to:

  1.  The WSSSC Constitution
  2.  The WSSSC Bylaws
  3.  The Veterans & Military Services Council (VMSC) Bylaws

The VMSC bylaws have undergone a couple more rounds of edits and are set for review and vote. If approved, we will take them to WACTC in February and ask for the creation of the council.

The WSSSC Constitution has been edited to include better guidance with regard to voting and quorums, as well as to include our EDI statement as a part of our preamble, thus creating even more formality and explicit intentionality with regard to our EDI work. Whilst reviewing the VMSC bylaws, I noted some peculiarities in their voting rules which prompted me to look at our own. The WSSSC rules on voting currently suggest that motions have to be approved by 1/2 or 2/3 of the institutions present. In practice, that means that if only one institution attended a meeting, it would meet the threshold to enact change. I’ve suggested setting the quorum threshold at 60% (about 20 institutions present). I also set rules around how multi-college district personnel (consideration for quorum and voting). There are good reasons for thresholds that are high and those that are low; this is somewhere in between and we can engage in full discourse as a part of our meeting in a couple weeks.

The Bylaws have been updated to add a probationary and inactive status for councils, and to reflect the voting/quorum details added to the constitution.

Feel free to respond with comments. This email communication is being sent two weeks prior to the meeting to meet our requirements for consideration and voting at the meeting.

Thank you for your consideration and the work you do.
Matt

Matthew Campbell, Ed.D. (he/him/his)

Vice President, Learning & Student Success

Pierce College Puyallup

p:

253.840.8419

a:

1601 39th Ave SE, Puyallup, WA 98374<x-apple-data-detectors://1/2>

w:

www.pierce.ctc.edu<http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/> e: mcampbell at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:bbenedetti at pierce.ctc.edu>