[Wctcca] [EXTERNAL] Re: Client Diagnosis

Nyssa Howell nhowell at btc.edu
Fri Jan 20 11:29:38 PST 2023

Hi Kendra and everyone,

At BTC we don’t provide full mental health or substance use assessment or diagnosis. Mostly because we don’t provide on-going mental health or substance abuse treatment—we provide short-term, EAP-ish level of counseling/SBIRT/some case management- and care coordination-type support. Reading Caley’s response, I’m sure part of the decision to not diagnose was made in consideration of how we allocate the time/limited resources of having had only one counselor at our college (we just hired a second last year).

Philosophically, coming from a decade working in community mental health and crisis services, I have appreciated the freedom this gives me to help people outside of the medical model/limited focus of the DSM V, or without being required to pathologize their experience or them meet certain diagnostic criteria thresholds before I help them. The students that want or would benefit from full assessment and dx we bridge to qualified folks in the community who can make that dx (if appropriate) and also be available for on-going tx, not limit them to support bound to their enrollment status or limited to our capacity in this role.

Respectfully,

[image004.jpg at 01D7901D]<https://www.btc.edu/>Nyssa Howell, M.Ed, LMHC (she, her)
Counselor, Student Services
Bellingham Technical College<http://www.btc.edu/>
3028 Lindbergh Ave. | Bellingham, WA 98225
Phone: 360.752.8441 | Office: CS106
Appointments: https://www.btc.edu/CurrentStudents/Counseling/

BTC provides student-centered, high-quality professional technical education for today’s needs and tomorrow’s opportunities.