[Wctcca] Client Diagnosis

Coates-white, Stephen Stephen.Coates-White at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Jan 20 13:23:39 PST 2023

Good morning,

I think one of the possible reasons this practice has been in place is because a diagnosis typically would precede treatment. If you elected to move forward with diagnostic appointments, I think Edmonds would be committing to a therapeutic model where it would be on the hook for the primary mental health medical care and treatment of a student-even if they elect to not enroll in any particular quarter or over the summer between a spring and fall enrollment. Issues of ethical abandonment and coordination of care would be areas of concern and whether counselors at Edmonds have the bandwidth and institutional capacity to take this on. I would definitely make sure admin and potentially your college AG weighs in.

Related to Walla Walla's response, I think defining what constitutes your population also needs to be addressed. Do individuals who enroll in a 1 cr course because they know treatment becomes available to them meet the standard? What about continuing education or 3rd party agencies who offer courses to their program participants by way of Edmonds?

At South, we haven't been wrestling with a diagnosis and treatment paradigm per se, but we are evaluating the potential of using more screening tools. For instance, students on academic probation may come in with procrastination as the presenting issue, when, in fact, it could be undiagnosed ADHD. We can screen for that and provide referral options for treatment. This doesn't preclude us from addressing the ongoing issues that impact their educational endeavors, bringing mindfulness and incorporating methods for academic success. But I would be very clear with the student that I am not treating the condition.

My two cents...

**Please note that because e-mail is not a secure form of communication, confidentiality cannot be ensured. Please be cautious in what you write or send.**

In the case of an emergency, please call 988, 911, or dial 1-866-427-4747 for the 24 hour crisis line.

Stephen Coates-White, Counselor
South Seattle College
6000 16th Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98106-1499