[Wctcca] Client Diagnosis

Mao, Jenny Jenny.Mao at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Jan 20 09:36:05 PST 2023

Greetings to all - At North, we've maintained we are instructional faculty, represented by our AFT union. We don't have a policy per se about diagnosis, but we've maintained that as instructional faculty, we are hired to perform faculty duties where counseling is our curriculum.

While our individual license may allow us to diagnose, treat, assess, we are not hired by the college to perform such duties. In fact, we increase the college liability if we were to assess, treat, and diagnose because we are not set up within our college to provide after hour services, we do not have strong liaison with MDs, and, we do not have the resources to provide outpatient mental health treatment for the entire college. Our contract is an academic contract where do are off during breaks, and we do not have consistent summer counseling services. To advertise that we perform these services will not be ethical advertising and increase liability for our college.

However, for some of us holding state licensures, we were told by our AG we need to engage within the bounds of our license. While we can diagnose, treat, and assess, we use our knowledge/training/license to inform our work with our students and communicate clear boundaries what we can or cannot do.

At North, we advertise providing short term, solution focused counseling to help students succeed in college. This broad definition of our practice helps us moderate expectations with the students we serve. For students who have health insurance, or who are working with a therapist, we refer back to their health care providers or we help them find providers within their insurance plan. For students who need more longer-term care, we also refer accordingly.

Counseling department within the state varies and others may have their services set up where they provide assessment, diagnosis, and treatment. At North, we were 2-faculty department for over 20 years. We are just finally ramping up positions to 4 next year. We are not at capacity to provide this level of care for our college and students.

Hope this helps,
Jenny

Jenny Mao, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she|her|hers
Faculty Counselor | Licensed Psychologist
North Seattle College
9600 College Way North
Seattle WA 98103
(206)934-3676
https://northseattle.edu/counseling

*Recognize that e-mail is not a secure medium and confidentiality cannot be assured. This email is for the intended recipient only. If you received this email in error, please let me know and delete.

If you are experiencing a personal crisis, please call King County 24-hour Crisis Connections toll free at 1-866-427-4747 (866-4CRISIS) or the National Suicide Prevention Line at 1-800-273-8255. Text “HEAL” to 741741 Washington Listens: 1.833.681.0211

North Seattle College offers services in person, by email, Zoom, and phone. Find out how to connect with us virtually:  https://northseattle.edu/student-services-virtual-on-campus  NSC counselors are committed to providing high quality confidential counseling to currently enrolled NSC students. We are available to meet with students through a confidential tele-counseling platform.

Winter Quarter – Student Service Hours | In-person: Mon-Thurs: 9am-3pm  | Virtual Hours: Mon, Thurs, & Fri: 8:00am-4:30pm // Tue & Wed: 8:00am – 7pm