[Wactclc-primo] Issue with title search in Primo

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed May 15 14:39:21 PDT 2019

Basically, the 'starts with' search takes into account any filing indicators present in the MARC record title field.

For example, in The Great Gatsby:

245	04$aThe great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The title (245) field sets the non-filing indicator of 4. Meaning that the first four characters of the title ('The ') should be ignored when 'filing' the card catalog by title in the cabinet.

And in the present day case, the non-filing value is considered by Primo when you search using 'starts with'.

You may also notice that PCI citations, like an article title, can be searched with leading articles, even in 'starts with'. Because PCI citations are not traditional MARC records, and don't include things like filing indicators.

Librarians will usually expect (and demand that) 'starts with' searches to take into account non-filing indicators and leading articles. Non-librarians, especially younger ones who never had to use a physical card catalog, will not be aware of that design. And will include leading articles in their 'starts with' searches.

Wade Guidry
WACTCLC
Library Consortium Services Manager
wade at bigbend.edu