[LIBRARYDIR] Community Borrowers

Amy Tureen atureen at spscc.edu
Tue May 14 14:15:35 PDT 2024

Because SPSCC is a community college we believe, on an institutional level, that we are a resource to both college community members and the broader community of Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey, etc. The college's mission and values statements reflect this as well, and we use those as guidance for our policies. We allow community members to use the library during all open hours. Pre-COVID the library also allowed community members to have accounts (but not physical cards) for free, although they were restricted to checking out physical books only (no multimedia, devices, etc.) We're looking at going back to the policy now that we are in the middle of a massive policy review process. Community users can also use computers, although staff have to log them in. They are not allowed to reserve study rooms either, although until recently our usage was so low we weren't insisting on reservations for anyone so there was very likely some usage at some point.

When we have problem patrons, and we absolutely have, we work with campus security to have them barred from the library for an appropriate length of time. I think the last time this was an issue was last summer when we had an issue with a community patron watching pornography on the computers, which was a violation both of library policies and campus level IT policies. That patron was barred from the campus for a year as there had apparently been previous issues elsewhere with this patron according to security records.

Amy Tureen (she/her)
Dean, Academic Success Programs
2011 Mottman Rd. SW | Olympia, WA 98512
p: 360-596-5416  |  e: atureen at spscc.edu<mailto:atureen at spscc.edu>