[LIBRARYDIR] New U.S. Dept. of Ed. COVID Relief Guidance Supports OER

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Thu Jan 20 12:46:33 PST 2022

Today, the U.S. Department of Education released new guidance for the use of COVID emergency funds<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/heerf-support-basic-needs-final.pdf?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=> allocated to colleges and universities under the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF I-III).

The Department’s FAQ <https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/heerf-support-basic-needs-final.pdf?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=> document (page 3) outlines a set of activities that are considered allowable uses of HEERF dollars, and OER is explicitly mentioned as one of the strategies to meet students’ basic needs during the pandemic.

SPARC has published a new blog post highlighting how campuses are using HEERF and other COVID relief funds for OER activities that reduce textbook costs, expand access to materials, and support remote learning. Please take a look:

Leveraging OER to Meet Student Basic Needs with COVID Relief Dollars
<https://sparcopen.org/news/2022/leveraging-oer-to-meet-student-basic-needs-with-covid-relief-dollars/>

Boyoung

Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.

Pronouns: she, her, hers

Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education

Openwa.org<http://www.openwa.org/> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>

bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549