[LIBRARYDIR] Gate Counters

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Tue Sep 28 16:24:13 PDT 2021

If you do have gate counters, one useful tip I’d suggest is to reality-check the accuracy, by having someone do a manual count for a couple of hours at a time and compare to the gate counter count. At a previous library where I worked, we had mechanical turnstile counters (quite old) that were off by as much as 15%. We replaced those electronic, laser-based counters, which were still less accurate than manual counting. But only by 2% or 3% plus or minus.

Even if staff use the same entrances as patrons, the numbers can be useful to identify trends, and also as supporting evidence when you want to make changes to library hours.

http://www.wactclc.org<http://www.wactclc.org/>