[LIBRARYDIR] Mag strips on student ID cards

Tammy Siebenberg tsiebenberg at yvcc.edu
Thu Mar 29 16:26:45 PDT 2018

We use mag strips on our new student ID cards and have student ID numbers as our primary identifier in Alma.  Attached to each of our circulation stations is a card reader that we swipe the cards through.  We did have to have our Tech Services people do a bit of tinkering with the card reader to prevent extra characters from appearing at the beginning and end of the ID numbers.  You would also want to make sure a carriage return code is included so you don't have to hit enter after swiping the card.

Tammy

Tammy R. Siebenberg, MLIS
Director - Library & Media Services
Yakima Valley College<http://www.yvcc.edu/>