[LIBRARYDIR] public patrons in your libraries

Vivienne Mcclendon vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu
Tue Feb 20 21:36:37 PST 2018

Cheyenne, (warning, long post)
Bellevue College is an open campus – open to the public. All but 1 of our computers requires a login (previously we had 3, all of which were sit down units). That computer is at a stand-up kiosk and prints directly to the circulation desk where the user has to pay 10 cents per page for printing. We maintain that unit as an equity issue for persons who may not have access to a computer, Internet, or a cell phone but may want to register, re-enroll, or otherwise engage with Bellevue College. Community borrowers may pay $20 for an account and borrowing privileges for normal collection items, not including reserve items.

We have had an increase in the last year of persons who appear to be homeless, and who wish to bring a large number of personal belongings into the building. In addition, some of these persons used the library as a place to take care of other personal needs such as bathing (in a sink) and eating (imagine a smorgasbord of vending machine and fast food along with the wrappers), as well as approaching students and staff for money or other items and favors (using their cell phone or asking for their computer login). One such person came repeatedly to use our video collection which could be played on monitors attached to DVD players which did not require a login to use. Previously, we had questioned our continued use of these units for some time.

Initially we banned the large grocery store style shopping cart that this person used the first time. But that was simply replaced by a European style grocery cart (oblong with two wheels). When we told the person, that s/he could not block the aisles with the cart, then that was replaced with 3 super large shopping bags. Additionally, this person would periodically appear to be off medication, with more erratic behavior, sometimes menacing and threatening our faculty and staff. At times, s/he would take up inordinate amounts of time with library staff/faculty, asking sometimes wild questions and requesting such as assistance in calling the Governor, helping to call doctors or other service providers, etc. You can see in only a half dozen visits, this was getting out of control quickly. We even had Campus Security come into the building and speak to or observe this individual each time as we tried to control things.

As a result, we drafted the following:
Bellevue College Library Procedures on Conduct and Appropriate Use

The main purpose of the Bellevue College Library is to provide the students, faculty and staff an environment conducive to teaching, learning, research and study.   Library users are expected to act responsibly, appropriately, and courteously in order to preserve the Library’s environment, facilities and collections. Community members and visitors are welcome but expected to abide by campus policy and state and local statutes.

For the comfort and safety of all library users and the protection of library property, the Library has established procedures in the following areas in accordance with the broader policies and regulations enforced on the Bellevue College campus, specifically the 4250 BC Code of Ethical Conduct and 2050 BC Student Code. The following are examples of conduct not permitted in Library facilities:

  *   Damage or theft of library property as well as property of library users
  *   Food and drink not in accordance with our guidelines (See BC Library food procedure)
  *   Unattended children (BC policy #6500)
  *   Animals, except service animals or those that are part of a library sponsored activity (BC policy #6520)
  *   Unattended personal belongings
  *   Use of tobacco alcohol or drugs, including smoking or vaping (BC policy #4500, 6150, 6350)
  *   Failure to comply with Library faculty and staff directives and signage
  *   Inappropriate or inadequate attire
  *   Carrying a weapon (BC policy #6420)

Inappropriate or Disruptive Behavior, such as:

  *   Excessive noise including loud talking, loud music, or loud audio equipment
  *   Offensive or profane language
  *   Inadequate personal hygiene
  *   Running, jumping, use of sports equipment
  *   Threat, Harassment, Assault or Intimidation of another person
  *   Any behavior that may obstruct or block access to any part of the library
  *   Any behavior that may impede other library users’ ability to study or learn

Inappropriate Use of Facilities, such as:

  *   Sleeping
  *   Excessive Public displays of affection
  *   Bathing, doing laundry, or other behaviors that interfere with others’ normal use of the restrooms
  *   Solicitation, panhandling, or distributing literature
  *   Use of wheeled devices, such as skateboards, bicycles, and large carts

These rules shall be applied in a neutral and nondiscriminatory manner to protect the property, users, and faculty and staff of the Bellevue College Library. Enforcement of library procedures will be referred to the appropriate authorities: the Bellevue College Public Safety, Bellevue College Student Conduct Officer, or Bellevue Police Department.

In addition to this, the librarians agreed on an operational guideline for reference: No visitor shall take priority over student consultations, and no non-student may be given more than 15 minutes assistance. At the end of 15 minutes, the visitor will be referred to the nearest public library. We have a handout which gives a map, the hours, and the bus route info for the nearest KCLS library. Librarians and staff are to call Campus Security whenever they feel uncomfortable and ask for assistance. Each time there is any drain on staff/faculty time, there is an email which records the event. If a person who has previously been warned enters the building, notice goes out via email and/or phone call to all LMC staff/faculty. The enforcement of these protocols, the removal of the video viewing stations with computers requiring a login, and removal of all but one non-login computer and change to a standing unit have removed all of our previous problem visitors. We still have some regulars who abide by the rules but stay with us sometimes all day long, which is just fine with us.

And if you want to talk about the visitor who was using a study room as a daily day care facility for numerous moms, well, let’s go out for libations.
Vivienne