[GuidedPathways] Antiracist Writing Workshop Series with Felicia Rose Chavez

Ashley Montenegro Ramirez amontenegro at sbctc.edu
Wed Mar 22 16:12:52 PDT 2023

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D95CD9.12173630]

Greetings,

Registration is now open for the four-part Antiracist Writing Workshop Series with Felicia Rose Chavez.  Details for the workshops and registration links are below.

Workshop #1: Adapting Our Teaching Habits and Vision Mapping
Friday, March 31 from 9:00am-11:30am

Register: https://eventactions.com/eareg.aspx?ea=Rsvp&invite=0d96dkvg2t6j1yu6hj9n0d1ujkyek56aucsmwt39r4nx1xnj0cs8

This interactive 90-minute session draws on storytelling, freewriting exercises, and discussion to prompt us to interrogate our academic and cultural inheritance with the goal of discovering possibilities beyond traditional teaching models. In addition, Felicia Rose Chavez will provide an in-depth, individualized question and answer session, this hour-long dialogue posits practical solutions for everyday anti-racist action. The session culminates in a vision map, outlining specific steps toward tangible change.

Workshop #2: Inclusive Classroom Syllabi & Disrupting Biased Student Behavior
Friday, April 7th from 9:00am-11:30am
Register: https://eventactions.com/eareg.aspx?ea=Rsvp&invite=0pn71511p219g6dh55j12xya7tj333rk03yksy1js1txz3nuy55x

In this interactive 90-minute session featuring personal story, freewriting exercises, and discussion, Felicia Rose Chavez will prompt participants to reflect on and evaluate the values implicit in their classroom leadership styles to create a classroom community where students of color feel a sense of belonging and safety and also support faculty in verbalizing our anti-racist agenda for them, in clear, unapologetic language, language that opens doors instead of closes them. We will aim to openly differentiate our approach to teaching in revised syllabi and course assignments.  How do we respond when confronted with student expressions of bias and authority? As educators, we need concrete strategies to disrupt patterns of microaggressions, resistance to listening, and a lack of empathy. This dynamic 90-minute session walks faculty step-by-step through strategies to foster productive dialogue and reflexivity in our classrooms, inspiring the best in our students. We culminate with a productive brainstorming session, troubleshooting participants' classroom experiences to work toward positive change.
Workshop #3: The Anti-Racist Writing Workshop-in-Action & Critique Across Disciplines
Friday, April 14th from 9:00am-11:30am
Register: https://eventactions.com/eareg.aspx?ea=Rsvp&invite=0b6u8dnwae288bpbc9eva0hyermk8w1nezvgt29gf4vah7d06gp0

In this interactive 90-minute session, Felicia Rose Chavez leads participants step-by-step through a writing workshop in-action. Participants will have an opportunity to workshop their own writing, and as such, should bring text to share. This 90-minute session offers 20 specific, practical takeaways to re-conceptualize critique across academic disciplines.
Workshop #4: TBA based on feedback from participants collected by the Antiracist Curriculum Initiative core team.
Friday, April 28th from 9:00am-11:30am
Register: https://eventactions.com/eareg.aspx?ea=Rsvp&invite=gbyau4netcrvn5b1cpb8g5a7bnyfefwgzntx7b9zk3ktrszyvktg

[Compass]Monica Wilson (she|her|hers)<https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit/why-i-put-pronouns-on-my-email-signature-and-linkedin-profile-and-you-should-too-d3dc942c8743>
Director, Student Success Center & Strategic Initiatives
Cell: 503-307-1555 | e: mwilson at sbctc.edu<mailto:mwilson at sbctc.edu> | website: www.sbctc.edu<http://www.sbctc.edu/>
                                                                                           SBCTC Vision
                         "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives
                          within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice
                         in service to our diverse communities."