[GuidedPathways] GP 2023-2024 Coach Recruitment -- APPLICATION DUE APRIL 1

Monica Wilson mwilson at sbctc.edu
Tue Mar 21 12:09:56 PDT 2023

Greetings,

We are excited to announce that the Guided Pathways Coach Application is now open for the 2023-2024 year.  In order to build our coaching capacity, we are seeking coach candidates to complete the application and consider joining the coaching cadre this spring for possible assignment in the 2023-24 year. Please consider applying and share this announcement with others. The application is due April 1!

Recruitment priorities:
At the end of each year, we contact each College President to obtain feedback about their priorities relative to guided pathways and how coaching has and can support their needs. As we approach recruitment this year, we will want to keep these needs in mind as we continue to build the capacity for the future. The areas listed below are a combination of assets and experiences expressed by the colleges and Coach Advisory Team as priorities for new coach candidates. These areas would help us broaden coach capacity:

  1.  Direct and successful experience in the development and implementation of guided pathways and achieving measurable results in their own institution. All colleges expressed an interest in coaches who had a deep and practical understanding of how pathways can be implemented in a CTC institution
  2.  Experience effectively integrating equity into the design, implementation and evaluation of guided pathways
  3.  Diversity in terms of race, gender, and cultural background
  4.  Expertise in Student Services Redesign through an equity-grounded pathways lens
  5.  Taking effective practice to scale in community colleges
  6.  Experience with college-wide collaboration in designing pathways meta-majors and program maps
  7.  Faculty experience in pathways leadership who can assist with meaningful faculty conversations about guided pathways particularly in cases of resistance
  8.  Experience in areas that challenge colleges such as the integration of accreditation, effective adoption of technology, and ctcLink
  9.  Training and/or experience as a community or technical college coach focused on pathways or equity-focused student success
  10. An approach to coaching that reflects the coach as "motivator not fixer" and respects the institutional role of driving the work
  11. Experience and strategic understanding in the design and development of pathways and program maps specific to the technical college

Recruitment Strategy:

The call for coaches will go to all colleges with multiple contacts within each institution and essential list serves within the state. While this is an important dissemination activity, we have found that one of the most effective tools in coach recruitment is personal outreach. To that end, we are asking coaches and Coach Advisory Team members to specifically consider reaching out to those who could be encouraged to apply. We are not limited to Washington state and are interested in a wide range of experiences and roles within the institution.

Delivery of Coaching for 2023-24

While we have been successful in delivering coaching services via virtual delivery over the last 2 years, we will monitor the needs of the colleges to determine how and if the implementation of in-person or hybrid options for colleges will be available.

Recruitment and Selection Time-line:

  *   Applications should be submitted no later than April 1, 2023 for this round.
  *   Coach Advisory Team reviews and recommendations for appointment of new coaches: April 1-April 15, 2023
  *   Notification of new coach trainees by May 1 and New Coach Orientation May 25, 2023, 1-4 p.m.
  *   Confirm continuing 2022/23 coaches: A check-in will occur in early February to determine the interest and capacity of current coaches. This will be used to determine any changes in assignments as we plan for fall 2023

Training Components and Schedule:

Expectations for training for new team members:

1.     National Pathways Collaborative online training through ATD (Selected modules will be assigned to new coaches as basic preparation)

2.     New Coach Orientation will be May 25, 1-4 p.m. (New Coach Trainees along with some experienced coach leads)

3.     Second New Coach training session on August 3, 2023, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (with support from Advisory Committee Members)

4.     All-coach Training Sessions (2- total) August 24, 2023, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & winter/spring 2023 (date TBD)

5.     Coaches will be invited to participate in SBCTC sponsored retreats

At the completion of the training program, coaches will be matched with college needs. Not all coach trainees may be needed as assigned coaches in a given year.

Following is the link to the application that applicants complete and submit on-line. We hope you will share the application with those who you think may be interested. Thanks again for all you are doing to support this effort to fully scale college support for advancing equity in student success.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAv1tSin7wN-y9RJ8UFt3G7wZJkrb2SHW7vg94HprzOH420w/viewform?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Jon & Deb
Lead Pathway Coaches