[GuidedPathways] How are you coding and tracking students?

Knappenberger, Jesse Jesse.Knappenberger at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Jan 23 10:07:07 PST 2020

Greetings fellow early GP adopter schools,

I have a question for all of you about your approach to some of the essential practice requirements related to tracking students from selecting a meta major to a program within two quarters of enrollment.

How is your college coding students to meet the tracking requirements of College Spark essential practices?  Have you developed a new coding system to meet this requirement?

Context...

Based on language in the related essential practices (see below) we took the approach of creating new EPC codes in the Legacy System (HP) for the new program pathways (program maps/recommended course sequences) we created. This has primarily impacted our transfer programs.  Previously our coding for transfer was only based on the degree pursued, not the intended transfer outcome.  So for example, our code for AA-DTA contained many, many students pursing very different options.

We are going live with ctcLink February 2021 and currently preparing for that transition.  We are growing more and more concerned that PeopleSoft will not support tracking based on specific program, but only degree (as we had previously done in the Legacy System).  Without strong confidence that PeopleSoft can support our new program coding approach we are trying to decide how to meet the essential practice of the College Spark grant, and would love to hear how you are meeting this requirement.

>From my understanding here is the language in the key essential practices outlining how we should be tracking student progress.

Program Monitoring

  *   Number of students in each Area of Study and how many students are in an exploratory course sequence for their Area of Study

  *   Number of quarters between college enrollment and entry into a Program Pathway for all credential-seeking students

  *   Which program every credential-seeing student is in and how far along s/he is toward completing that Program Pathway Plan

Technology
 "...record the Area of Study and Program Pathway for each student and produce reports that summarize enrollment in various programs..."

Intake & Onboarding
"...choose an Area of Study upon enrollment, and enter a Program Program within no more than two quarters. "

Thanks for sharing.  I'm happy to answer any questions and/or provide more context for my question.  Look forward to hearing from you all.

Best,

Jesse Knappenberger, M.Ed.

Dean of Student Achievement

South Seattle College<http://www.southseattle.edu/>

VM: 206.934.5207

PGP: he, him, his

SSC Core Themes: Student Achievement, Teaching & Learning, College Culture & Climate, Community Engagement & Partnerships