[FYE-CSS] Second COP get-together: Friday June 11, discussion on projects/problems

Walb, Bryson Bryson.Walb at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Jun 11 15:21:09 PDT 2021

Appreciated the space today and look forward to watching what I missed.

Also I realized I've been thinking of it in the context of program development at work but I am totally going to be using Step-Back Consulting as a group approach with students in class to generate critical and creative thinking. It is familiar to me through Montague Ullman's method of dream sharing that I participated in during a class about Dreams many years ago now and I appreciate the dynamic s that it supports http://siivola.org/monte/papers_grouped/copyrighted/Dreams/The_Experiential_Dream_Group.htm

In our intro break out there was discussion of Yosso's Community Cultural Wealth brought up by Tami and I mentioned comparing a common privilege exercise with a CCW one. Somethings to learn in these exercises (including what is problematic) and also somethings to learn from comparing the two and the systems of valuation. I think there are also some things that resonate with our conversation around promoting feelings of belonging related to career preparation with looking at how CCW can be integrated with tools aligned with dominant culture like the Strong Interest Inventory, various skills assessments, and tools like the Dependable Strengths Articulation Process to create a space for folx that is not deficit based and where they can work on strengthening confidence, supporting feeling of belonging, and aligning their values and strengths with career and life paths. And to that end I think it is good to not only apply Yosso's model to understanding the wealth that our students bring but also to apply it to consideration of the outro and the create envisioning of the wealth and way of life students can and want to pursue.

Some links regarding the privilege and CCW exercises:

  *   https://pocc.nais.org/PoCC/media/documents/Privilege-Walk-Activity-for-the-Classroom.pdf

  *   https://medium.com/@MegB/why-i-dont-won-t-facilitate-privilege-walks-anymore-and-what-i-do-instead-380c95490e10

  *   https://www.learningforjustice.org/magazine/beyond-the-privilege-walk

  *   https://profteacher.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/community-cultural-wealth-walk-revised-july-2016-by-oropeza-fujimoto-huangin-progress.pdf

Looking forward to continuing the conversation,

Bryce