[Factc] Have You Felt a Tap on Your Shoulder to Lead at Evergreen? Don't Let Fear Stop You!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:35:07 PST 2018

Dear Friends and Colleagues:
Don't forget that the applications for the Washington Center Director are due November 19, 2018.
I've had many people ask me if I am going to apply-and the answer is no. I love my work at SBCTC and I've got some really cool projects and a great team of internal and external folks (no, you can't have my job!)
BUT . . . when I ask that person if he/she/they is going to apply . . . they say, "Oh, I don't think I'm ready/qualified."
TRUST ME: If you are asking the question, you're ready . . . or at least, you're more ready than you think you are!
Asking questions is your best navigation system for living your best and most fulfilling life- expanding, playing bigger, fulfilling your purpose. When you ask the question, you are ready to hear the answer- or, more often, the answers. When you ask questions-especially the questions that might lead you to a whole new stage in your life- you are ready to expand.
So please, if you do anything over the long weekend . . . if you've had the whisper, the urge, the tap on the shoulder to apply for this job . . . DO IT! What do you have to lose except the investment of some quality thinking/reflection time?
And every job application, if you follow the sage advice of writing a completely new cover letter and resume for the position, teaches you something about yourself. Presenting yourself in this way (who am I and what could I bring to this work?) is a skill, it is an art . . . and it must be practiced.
So get practicing! APPLY already!
Peace,
Jen
PS: As a member of the National Advisory Committee for the Washington Center, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Please see below my e-mail signature for more information. Obvs, I'm a two year college girl . . . so depending on your context, you might feel more comfortable chatting with another member of the committee:

*       Joye Hardiman, Current Director: hardimwj at evergreen.edu<mailto:hardimwj at evergreen.edu>

*       Jillian Kinzie, NSSE: jikinzie at indiana.edu<mailto:jikinzie at indiana.edu>

*       Emily Lardner, VPI at Gray's Harbor College: lardner.emily at ghc.edu<mailto:lardner.emily at ghc.edu>;

*       Pat Hutchings, NILOA: Hutchings at carnegiefoundation.org<mailto:Hutchings at carnegiefoundation.org>

*       Rachel Singer, gloriously and fabulously retired (more time for brilliance!) and formerly of AtD: singerre at gmail.com<mailto:singerre at gmail.com>

________________________________

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)
Assessment, Teaching, and Learning
jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-4354 * c: 206-310-1291
Register Now for the 2018 New Faculty Institute<http://bit.ly/2kGygBt>

"I'm not interested in the exceptions, only the patterns. As a culture, we (the U.S.) focus too much on exceptions, often fooling ourselves into believing that because there are exceptions, the rule no longer exists or that it's easily broken by anyone with enough willpower or hutzpah."

[*]     Asao B. Inoue, Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies<http://bit.ly/2xvacY4>
Revised position announcement: (full job description<https://evergreen.peopleadmin.com/postings/search?&query=&query_v0_posted_at_date=&query_position_type_id=3&435=&query_organizational_tier_3_id=any&commit=Search>)
Director of The Washington Center and The Learning & Teaching Commons, Administrative Faculty (Revised)
The Evergreen State College seeks a Director of The Washington Center for Improving the Quality of Undergraduate Education (http://wacenter.evergreen.edu<http://wacenter.evergreen.edu/about-the-washington-center>), who will be responsible for this public service center's external and internal operations. This full-time Administrative Faculty* position provides a unique opportunity to enhance faculty professional development nationally, across Washington state, and on the Evergreen campus.

The Director will dedicate 50% time to advancing the work of the Washington Center: plan, organize, market and lead its National Institutes on Learning Communities and on Using Evidence to Improve Teaching and Learning, in collaboration with the National Advisory Board. The Director will also publish the Washington Center's biannual peer-reviewed e-journal with the assistance of an editorial staff, collaborate with regional and national partners to promote learning communities and strengthen campus initiatives in equity and student success, and organize annual planning retreats for Washington State community colleges, colleges, and universities. The Washington Center director is supported by three classified staff and student employees.

The other 50% will be dedicated to coordinating and guiding the new Learning & Teaching Commons at The Washington Center to advance faculty development at Evergreen in collaboration with a Faculty Fellow, an internal advisory group, the Dean of Faculty Development and the Vice President of Equity and Inclusion.

The Learning & Teaching Commons at The Washington Center is conceived as an institutional space where faculty and teaching staff can cultivate practices and develop tools that will give all students the chance to excel and to meet the Six Expectations of an Evergreen graduate. The Washington Center director will collaborate with the Evergreen partners noted above to promote a generative culture of interdisciplinary teaching and learning that is student-centered, equity-minded, inquiry-oriented, and committed to access and excellence. The Director will also collaborate with Evergreen partners to coordinate summer institutes for Evergreen faculty, nurture campus communities of practice, and compile and present stories of work well done.

Qualified candidates will be experienced in designing and delivering professional development aimed at helping faculty understand and address equity gaps and improve student learning outcomes. The Washington Center functions as the national center for undergraduate learning communities; therefore, qualified candidates will have experience working with faculty to design integrative and interdisciplinary curriculum and strong teaching teams. Qualified candidates will have knowledge and experience helping faculty use evidence-based pedagogical strategies, including nationally recognized high impact practices, to meet institutional goals for student learning and student success. Experience and skills in consultative and collaborative leadership with faculty across disciplines is essential, as is experience and skill in working with diverse and underserved student populations in higher education. Experience and skills in helping faculty use student learning outcomes assessment as an equity strategy is highly desirable.

*Administrative Faculty at Evergreen are on 12-month, 3-year renewable contracts with salary based on experience years. The published faculty salary scale assumes a 9-month position, so please add an additional 3-months' salary to estimate the annual salary for this position; the 9-month salary grid can be found at https://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring/salarygrid. This position accrues vacation at a rate of 2 days per month in addition to one personal holiday and one personal leave day per year.
For a full position description and to submit your application materials, please visit Evergreen's jobs website,www,evergreen.edu/facultyjobs<https://evergreen.peopleadmin.com/postings/search?&query=&query_v0_posted_at_date=&query_position_type_id=3&435=&query_organizational_tier_3_id=any&commit=Search>.