[Ctclda] Winter Assessment, Teaching, and Learning Retreat: Register Now!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Wed Nov 16 17:18:59 PST 2016

Calling outcomes assessment coordinators, faculty committee chairs, directors of teaching and learning centers, faculty learning community facilitators, instructional deans, eLearning directors!

[cid:image001.png at 01D2402D.8111F770]Do you . . .

*         possess a keen interest in offering high-quality professional development for educators that impacts student learning?

*         hold a position on your campus that focuses on improving teaching and learning?

*         feel alone or isolated when facing significant challenges in your role?

*         yearn to learn from your peers and avoid re-creating the wheel?

Register Now!

Winter 2017 ATL Retreat<http://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/assessment-teaching-learning/atl-quarterly-retreats.aspx>
February 23-24, 2017
Rainbow Lodge<http://www.rainbowlodge.org/>

Why Should I Attend?
To paraphrase Peg Balachowski<https://www.everettcc.edu/programs/arts/ctt/staff/peg-balachowski>, Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning at EvCC, these retreats offer professional development for professional developers.

*         Community of Practice Model: Rainbow Lodge provides a warm and hospitable space for us to enjoy the social nature of learning (community) as we support each other in our shared domain (professional development in the context of the system and our colleges) and reflect upon and improve our practices.

*         Experiential Leadership Training: At the 2016 ATL conference, Bev and Etienne Wenger-Trayner introduced their practice of setting up Leadership Groups in Social Learning Contexts<http://wenger-trayner.com/resources/leadership-groups-for-social-learning/>. At the retreats, participants sign up for one of the seven groups - each group is responsible for stewarding one part of the learning process for the group to help the group develop itself as a learning partnership.

*         Deepen Collective Understanding of the Field: We will continue our group reading of Coming in from the Margins: Faculty Development's Emerging Organizational Development Role in Institutional Change <https://www.amazon.com/Coming-Margins-Developments-Organizational-Institutional/dp/157922363X> by Connie M. Schroeder. Schroeder conducted a study to address questions regarding the current and future role of professional development within institutions facing significant institutional change agendas; she argues that professional development must shift to collective approaches that impact more than one faculty member at a time and transform the institution.

How do I Register?
Fill out the attached registration form and return to Jackie Eppler Clark at jeclark at sbctc.edu<mailto:jeclark at sbctc.edu>

Questions?
Please contact Jennifer Whetham, jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu>

Jennifer Locke Whetham
Program Administrator, Faculty Development
1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504
p: (360) 704-4354| f: (360) 704-4419 |
mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu|@jwhethamsbctc | assessmentlearningteaching.wordpress.com<http://www.assessmentlearningteaching.wordpress.com/>