[BFET] Clarification on 50/50 Indirect

Mat Carlisle mcarlisle at sbctc.edu
Tue Jan 10 08:54:13 PST 2017

Good morning.
In order to provide some further clarification on how to handle 50/50 indirect, I am attaching 3 slides, with their explanation, from the BFET Grant and Fiscal Training that was provided back in October 2016 that directly addressed 50/50 indirect and 100% indirect.

I am, also, including a straight forward clarification provided by John Ginther, the SBCTC Director of Accounting and Business Services:
      I would treat this as any other 50/50 expense:
1.

Determine the Total Indirect Eligible Costs

$5,000

2.

Record Indirect Expense to Non-Federal Funds

Indirect Rate

10%

$500

3.

Amount to be Claimed/Reimbursed

50%

$250

If further explanation is needed, please contact John directly.

Some reminders from Michele Rockwell's presentation:

1.       The opportunity to invoice for 50/50 indirect is projected to last only through March 31, 2017. It is anticipated that 100% funds will be available after that date.

2.       You can claim indirect against expenses on your General line expenses...or part of your General line expenses.  Colleges with a federally approved indirect rate that was submitted in OGMS with their FFY17 application can budget up to that rate for salaries, benefits, goods/services, and travel budgeted to the General line of the grant OR whatever your federal rate plan will allow. if your rate only allows you to claim indirect against salary expenses, that's all you can claim. Colleges without a federally approved indirect rate submitted in OGMS with their FFY17 application can budget up to 5% of salaries budgeted to the General line of the grant.

3.       Since these are 50/50 funds, your Match Certification Form must reflect expenses for the remaining 50% of indirect.

Thank you.
Mat

Mat Carlisle
Program Administrator,  Workforce Education
State Board of Community and Technical Colleges
Phone: 360.704.4341
Fax: 360.704.4418
Email: mcarlisle at sbctc.edu