[Abawdnavigators] inexpensive King and Snohomish county Oct. trainings re: poverty and housing

Drake, Laura ldrake at shoreline.edu
Mon Sep 16 16:17:36 PDT 2019

Good afternoon everyone. I hope all is well with you and yours. I came across a few trainings which may be of interest to ABAWD navigators given the population we will be serving. I know these may not be options for you depending on location, schedule, and budgets and also I am NOT the expert on any of these trainings; I just came across them and wanted to share the opportunities with other ABAWD navigators. :)

The first one coming up is Poverty 101 & 201. These are sponsored by the Everett Gospel Mission and are going to be in Everett. They are designed for people who are NOT counselors or case managers but who assist anyone dealing with issues of poverty which seemed like an excellent fit for us ABAWD navigators. I was originally sent the flier for Poverty 201 on 10/5 (a Saturday, btw) but the Poverty 101 training is a prereq. They are holding a special session of Poverty 101 on 10/4 so people can attend the Poverty 201 on 10/5. Please see the flier for more details - I believe for both sessions the cost is $55 and includes lunch and materials both days. There are also just regular sessions of Poverty 101 which you can find on the link for the event at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/egm-poverty-201-tickets-62516795418.

The second training seems to be King County specific; although the sponsoring agency may be open to attendees from other counties. It is something called "Diversion Training" sponsored by All Home. Per their webpage "Diversion is a short term intervention that supports households in identifying immediate, safe housing arrangements, often utilizing conflict resolution and mediation skills to reconnect people to their support systems. Diversion offers flexible, light-touch services that may be coupled with minimal financial assistance that results in a temporary or permanent housing arrangement outside of the homeless system." It is a two day training on 10/28 & 10/29 in Burien, and it appears to be only $18. I was not sent a flier, but here is a link to the sign up for more info: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/october-2019-king-county-diversion-training-tickets-70208119375?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=escb&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing

I have interest in all of the above but am working on scheduling and budgeting to see if it makes sense for me to go.

Laura Drake
Community Resource Navigator for ABAWDs
(Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents)
Workforce Education