[Abawdnavigators] Hold Harmless Period

Erin Frasier efrasier at sbctc.edu
Fri Sep 13 15:24:37 PDT 2019

Good afternoon,

First, I want to thank you all for your patience and all your efforts to prepare to serve individuals in your communities experiencing food insecurity. We have been working collaboratively with DSHS to ensure we are addressing your questions and to provide you with the information you need to create solid programs. We are closer to a release of a revised manual for your review and I have some exciting news that will answer many of our questions around work activity options.

I am very excited to share the following message with you from DSHS:

Thank you, to all of the Able Bodied Adult Without Dependents (ABAWD) Navigators for your pro-activeness and shared excitement to serve ABAWD clients in Washington in partnership with the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) and Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) providers. It is an ambitious task to ensure each ABAWD client is given the direct connection to employment and training programs to retain their food security and assist them on their pathway to transform their lives.

DSHS has not received official notification from the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) about the status of the proposed waiver changes, however, we do want to share with you a decision DSHS has made.
If the proposed waiver policy changes are implemented by the FNS October 1st, we will be opting to use a "hold harmless" option for a period of time to ensure a more manageable implementation phase and program delivery that truly addresses client needs.

This means DSHS will not begin monitoring ABAWD participation in counties who have lost a waiver until January 2020.  Clients residing outside of King County will not be at risk of losing their Basic Food until we begin monitoring work requirements.

What happens in the mean time?
As originally planned, DSHS will begin referring clients to ABAWD Navigators in all counties regardless of the waiver status in October. This gives us a great opportunity to identify challenges and develop creative solutions together before clients outside of King County become at risk.

We hope this information relieves any concern and allows you to focus on preparations for supporting clients. We look forward to continued collaboration and are excited to have more time to be thoughtful and bold in our planning.

If you have any creative solutions or thoughts, please contact Erin Frasier.

Thank you,

Corinna Adams, ABAWD Food Program Manager, DSHS

In light of this great news, I have a few requests and suggestions:

  *   Please hold off on any efforts to develop Workfare sites. We need to allow DSHS time to further define processes and establish the capacity to address this need.
  *   Please focus on establishing internal processes for orientation and records keeping.
  *   Prepare to utilize existing options for individuals to meet work requirements and ensure individuals are choosing the best fit for their career goals.

I will release the revised manual and data tracking spreadsheet as soon as possible for your review. Please also keep your eyes out for a webinars to focus on forms, record keeping and other topics.

I truly appreciate your patience.

Respectfully,
Erin

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Erin Frasier, Ed.D.
Policy Associate, Workforce Education
1300 Quince Street SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504-2495
P: (360) 704-4339     E: efrasier at sbctc.edu<mailto:efrasier at sbctc.edu>