[Wsssc] FAFSA work session in Senate Higher Ed

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Wed Feb 14 12:51:57 PST 2024

From: Arlen Harris
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2024 12:47 PM
Subject: FAFSA work session in Senate Higher Ed

Hello State Board members, college chancellors, and presidents,

This morning in the Senate Higher Education and Workforce Development Committee, SBCTC policy associate, Yokiko Hayashi-Saguil participated in a work session on the difficulties regarding FAFSA simplification rollout.  For those who attended NLS last week in DC, you know this is a huge topic and we are hearing concerns from our financial aid offices as well.  We heard quite a bit at the student services commission last week as well.
The PowerPoint used by Yokiko and our partners at the Council of Presidents is attached along with supporting documentation requested by the committee.

I encourage you to take time to listen to the work session using the link below and pay special attention to the questions from committee chair, Senator T’wina Nobles, to the presenters from the Student achievement Council (second panel).  There are three panels participating in the presentation, Yokiko is in the final panel with Ruben Flores, Director at COP.

https://www.tvw.org/watch/?clientID=9375922947&eventID=2024021191&startStreamAt=1640

Thanks for all your support on this issue.

[Compass]Arlen Harris
Legislative Director
aharris at sbctc.edu<mailto:aharris at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4394 • f: 360-704-4415 • c: 360-391-1232
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>