[Wsssc] Free Speech Resources

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Wed Feb 14 17:45:38 PST 2024

Dear WSSSC,

By VPSS request, compiled here are the resources related to our Free Speech work during the winter commission meeting last week.

AAG PowerPoint: Attached is a set of PowerPoint slides that Senior AAG Dave Stolier prepared for a talk on first amendment issues in 2020.  I think it provides a pretty good overview of the topic when it comes to protests by students and third parties on campus.  There is a second set of principles that govern when and to what extent an IHE can control an employee's speech. AAG Bruce Marvin can provide PowerPoint slides on those issues as well if there is interest, although it is a more nuanced analysis.

Free Speech Pre-Read: https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-new-yorker-interview/the-chancellor-of-berkeley-weighs-in (highly recommend)

WSSSC Free Speech Case Study: Attached

Case Study Discussion Questions:

  *   What is the role of the institution in fostering free speech?
  *   What are the dangers of censorship - who gets to decide to censor, at what cost?
  *   What is and isn't psychological safety? (Psychological safety does not remove discomfort, stress, or being intellectually challenged)
  *   What is the line between discomfort, stress, intellectual challenges and hate speech ( persistent threats, bullying, harassment, and intimidation)?
  *   How does your college encourage diverse perspectives and values contributions from all members of the team?

Ending Quote: Lead Researcher and author Terrell L. Strayhorn in his book "College Student Belonging," shares "scholars have documented that students sense of belonging is greater if and when they socialize with peers who's backgrounds differ from their own."

[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu* o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."