[Wsssc] 2024 SBCTC Legislative Internship Posting

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Tue Nov 7 08:00:52 PST 2023

Greetings WSSSC,

We are thrilled to announce that the 2024 Legislative Internship is open for applications until next Monday, November 13, 2023. Please help us spread the word.

Details of the position are listed below, with a link to the application. Please feel free distribute widely!
The position is open online here: https://hcprd.ctclink.us/psc/tam/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Yokiko Hayashi-Saguil.

Position Overview
The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges invites applications from interested students enrolled in Washington state's 34 community and technical colleges for the 2024 Legislative Session Internship.
There will be two Legislative Internship positions based in Olympia and one position will be remote.

Mission and Vision Statement
Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities. We challenge, empower and embolden ourselves and our colleges to deliver equitable higher education through antiracist policies that ensure economic vitality across Washington. Our values are focused on racial equity and social justice, accountability, community and culture building, service, humor, collaboration and innovation.
Principal Activities

  *   Serve as the student voice that provides updates to the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges' board members during regular board meetings.
  *   Provide student perspective and voice on legislation and issues to members of the Legislature and to college system.
  *   Track and monitor legislation of interest to the college system, including working with policy leads.
  *   Attend legislative hearings and floor debates, either in-person or virtually.
  *   Prepare testimony and testify before legislative committees on legislation of interest to the community and technical college system either in-person or virtually.
  *   Meet with members of the Legislature either in-person or virtually wth the legislative director, and other State Board staff.
  *   Attend meetings at the State Board offices on legislative strategy either in-person or virtually.
  *   Attend meetings with the executive director, deputy executive director for education, and department directors to learn about the State Board and college system operation.
  *   Assist in recruiting and preparing community and technical college students to testify on college related bills.
  *   Assist with office work virtually as needed, including writing a weekly blog written for college system constituents like presidents, trustees, State Board members.
Qualifications

  *   Currently enrolled student at a Washington state community or technical college.
  *   Must be enrolled in and pursuing a degree or certificate.
  *   Must comply with college requirements and qualifications.
  *   Ability to work in a virtual environment with reliable access to Wi-Fi.

Hourly Rate of Pay: $16.50
Location: Olympia, WA

Search Timeline
Open Date: Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2023
Close Date: Monday, November 13, 2023
This is a part-time, up to 20-hour per week position for the majority of the academic year. Work will be completed a in either an in-person or virtual environment. Interns may also be invited to virtual events in Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. Attendance at these events will be paid and are not mandatory to attend.
Recruitment and screening of applications will be ongoing until the position is filled. However, to ensure full consideration, return completed materials by 5 p.m. on the closing date. Note: Agency hiring authorities reserve the right - and may exercise the option - to make a hiring decision prior to the conclusion of the recruitment process.

Supervision Reporting
This position reports to the Policy Associate in Student Services.

Application Process
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items by Monday, November 13, 2023:

  *   Detailed resume showing educational, personal and professional experience demonstrating how you meet the qualifications.
  *   Letter of Recommendation from your college's Council of Unions and Student Programs advisor.
  *   List of two references with contact information. References are typically conducted after interview.
  *   If the internship will be used for academic credit, a signed learning agreement can be completed after hire.

Best,

[Compass]Yokiko Hayashi-Saguil
Pronouns:<https://www.mypronouns.org/sharing> She/Her/Hers

Policy Associate, Student Services