[Wsssc] 2024 Legislative Session Kick-Off

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Fri Dec 8 13:58:48 PST 2023

Dear WSSSC,

I know how much you enjoy my Friday emails, so I'm writing this one special just for you!

As we approach the 2024 supplemental legislative season, I write to bring your attention to our operating and capital budget requests, which are attached for your review.

This session will begin January 8 and is scheduled to end March 8, 2024. In addition to attached requests, the Department of Student Services staff is placing special focus, analysis, testimony, and monitoring in the House and the Senate on funding our navigator positions, mental health initiatives, and student basic needs. Other key issues to watch include Apprenticships, Dual Credit, Adjunct Pay Equity, Workforce, Corrections Education, and a "free" college bill.

We are in the process of interviewing student interns, which is always one of the brightest moments of the session. This session, we anticipate revisiting bills that didn't progress in the 2023 session. For those new to the club, I have attached a summary of 2023 for your reference and below is an infographic that details the life cycle of a bill (for a little fun, here is the School House Rock - I'm just a bill<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ8psP4S6BQ> video).

Important Resources to be aware include:

  *   SBCTC Legislative Outreach webpage<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/legislative-outreach/default.aspx>:  contains system's legislative priorities, budget requests, college system bill information, hearing schedules, legislators by college district, etc.
  *   SBCTC Quick Facts and <https://www.sbctc.edu/about/facts-publications/default.aspx> Publications webpage<https://www.sbctc.edu/about/facts-publications/default.aspx>:  contains system one-pagers, policy briefs, Field Guide, etc.
  *   Washington state Legislature website<http://www.leg.wa.gov/>:  provided information on bills, committee hearings, legislators, legislative calendars, state laws, etc. (www.leg.wa.gov<http://www.leg.wa.gov/>)
  *   TVW<http://www.tvw.org/>:  contains streaming video on committee hearings, floor action, press conferences and beyond. Also allows you to search archived videos. (www.tvw.org<http://www.tvw.org/>)

Looking ahead, our winter WSSSC Commission meeting will be a crucial time for you all to come together and strategically prioritize 2025 legislative asks. I have already received a handful of thoughtful message that I am sharing with your commission executive team. Your input and insights will be invaluable as we navigate these important discussions.

Please take the time to review the attached documents and let's begin to mentally prepare to contribute to the shaping of our legislative priorities.

Thank you always and wishing you a great weekend and conclusion of fall term. It's just getting started for us at the SBCTC!

[cid:image003.png at 01DA29DC.D97972D0]
[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu* o: 360-704-4334 *

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."