[Wsssc] Seeking Insights: Student Athlete Housing Strategy

Cal Erwin-Svoboda cal.erwin-svoboda at ghc.edu
Wed Aug 16 10:13:20 PDT 2023

Greetings WSSSC (bcc),

We are continuously exploring to avenues to enhance the student experience at GHC, especially as it pertains to student housing. A potential collaboration with a developer who expresses interest in acquiring a nearby motel for conversion into student accommodations is underway. This strategic venture holds the potential to significantly contribute to our institution's growth and the well-being of our student body.

At present, we are not in a position to proceed with a master lease; however, we are considering implementing a requirement that mandates all of our student athletes to reside in this proposed housing arrangement. This initiative aligns with our commitment to offer our athletes a conducive living environment that supports their academic and athletic pursuits.

I kindly request your valuable insights on this matter, particularly from those who currently enforce a similar housing requirement for their athletes in non-college owned properties.  Specifically, I seek your expertise on the following aspects:

1.      Articulation of the Housing Requirement: How do you effectively communicate and articulate the housing requirement to your student athletes?

2.      Compliance Considerations: Given that we are contemplating a housing arrangement that is not college-owned, what compliance requirements should we ensure adherence to?

3.      Agreement Framework: Could you kindly share the agreement language you have established with your housing partner? Of particular interest are the delineated roles, responsibilities, and expectations of both parties.

4.      Guidance and Advice: We welcome any additional advice or reflections you may have regarding this potential arrangement.

Your expertise and time are of immense value, and your contributions will significantly inform our ongoing discussions with the developer.

With sincere appreciation,

Dr. Cal Erwin-Svoboda
Vice President of Student Services
Bishop Center for Performing Arts Manager
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive | Aberdeen, WA 98520<https://www.ghc.edu/locations/main-campus-map> | (360) 538-4066