[Wactclc-primo] Advanced searches failing in Seattle's Primos

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Feb 27 12:54:57 PST 2024

Big thanks to Carleigh for figuring this out so quickly!

Yes, we made changes to our Primo Language Facet last week to add language filters for languages we know are spoken by our students, faculty and staff (Vietnamese, Amharic, Tigrinya, Somali).

We did this in Alma Config > Discovery > Display Configuration > Configure Views > [View] > Advanced Search Configuration tab > List of Languages

We do know that just because we can filter by a language doesn’t mean we have any materials in that language. We still wanted to have the option.

We set the List of Languages to “Sort by Alphabetical order” not having any idea that whatever language is first on the list is automatically set as the default language in any Advanced Search.

The language that ended up first on the alphabetical list was Amharic. It turns out we don’t have much in Amharic.

Carleigh reordered to put the “Any” language option at the top of the list.

My learning process has definitely been enhanced by this mistake! 😉

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas (Hear my first name<http://namedrop.io/kirstithomas>)
Library Technical Services Manager & Systems Librarian
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu