[Wactclc-alma] Newspaper digitization recommendations?

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue May 16 12:29:29 PDT 2023

Clare,

I immediately thought of the Archives Dept. at Washington State Library as a possible source of info and advice.

Digging through the website, I found out there's an Imaging & Preservation Service<https://www.sos.wa.gov/archives/imaging_digitize.aspx> that can perform scanning of paper materials. Page says:

"For pricing information please contact Imaging and Preservation Services at (360) 586-0108"

They may also have recommendations for OCR (optical character recognition) and recommendations to find grant funding for OCR. You'll need to translate the scanned image to text so everything is accessible for screenreaders. Getting accessible text that's not full of errors out of the scanning project may be the most complicated part.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas (Hear my first name<namedrop.io/kirstithomas>)
Library Technical Services Manager & Systems Librarian
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu