[Wactclc-alma] Virtues of suppressing a bib record over deleting outright

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Feb 18 10:33:12 PST 2020

There isn't a good reason to keep these records in Alma.

It's possible that these records were left over from Voyager.  Voyager made it almost impossible to delete bib records that had any kind of order information attached to them-- you had to manually delete any attached POLs first, and if you deleted the POLs then you lost that acquisitions data from the system.  So most of the Voyager libraries just suppressed the bib records and called it good.  We still have several thousand suppressed bib records (with and without holdings and/or items) in Alma that are left over from Voyager days when they couldn't be easily deleted.  I keep telling myself I'll get to them one day. ;)

Before you go deleting these records completely, you should make sure that Edmonds' OCLC holdings symbol has been removed from WorldCat for these titles.  The easiest way to do this is to get these records into an Analytics report that includes the "OCLC Control Number (035a)" field. Export the report to Excel and edit it so that you end up with just the OCLC record numbers in a text file.  Each OCLC number should be on a separate line like this (only don't use a header line-- you only need the OCLC record numbers):

[cid:image001.png at 01D5E645.410B01F0]

Here are the instructions for deleting OCLC holdings in batch from a text file.  This is from our Alma Withdrawal Procedures<https://scedu-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/kirsti_thomas_seattlecolleges_edu/EQCqe554RZJLgxfGFf-uFHIB6sxDZhyTUTBSoXEmZsMA4Q?e=BDC8Zw> documentation:

Open Connexion Client
Select Batch--Holdings by OCLC Number

[cid:image002.png at 01D5E645.D816C340]

Import your text file of OCLC record numbers

Click the Browse button on the upper right corner of the pop-up window

[cid:image003.png at 01D5E645.D816C340]

Browse to the location where you stored your file of OCLC record numbers, select your *.txt file, then click the Open button.

[cid:image009.jpg at 01D5E646.D3D74F60]

Click the Import button

[cid:image006.png at 01D5E645.D816C340]

Click No when asked if you want to delete your original import file

[cid:image007.png at 01D5E645.D816C340]

Click the Delete Holdings button in the middle of the pop-up window
Click the OK button at the bottom of the pop-up window

[cid:image008.png at 01D5E645.D816C340]

When Connexion finishes deleting holdings, it should display a report.  Don't worry about any error messages-- they just mean the library holdings symbol wasn't attached to those OCLC records to begin with.

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Service Manager
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu