[Wactclc-alma] Kanopy DDA

Kun, Lily lkun at spscc.edu
Tue Jun 4 12:39:22 PDT 2019

Hi Nicole,

SPSCC switched over to the $2 option in July last year and we love it. It’s saved us a lot of money. When we were on the PDA model, we spent almost $8K (3/2017-5/2018), but since we switched over to $2 PPU (pay per use), we’ve cut the spending in half (almost $4K 7/2018-6/2019) and have more usage than ever. I would not go back to the PDA model—my films are now $150 each, so it would take viewing one film 75 times ($2 x 75 = $150) to make it worth buying. In the one year I’ve been tracking PPU usage, less than a handful of films have gotten more than 75 views. I’ve only had to purchase one film because it was more cost efficient (more than 100 views).

As for the need to create user accounts, I worked it out with Kanopy so that our students only need to be logged in through our ezproxy portal without needing to create the extra Kanopy account. The only reason users need to get a Kanopy account is so that Kanopy can give users the 72 hours free access to the same film (e.g. the individual user can watch Lady Bird multiple times during 72 hours for just $2). Without a Kanopy account, Kanopy won’t know who is activating what film, so you lose out on the multiple views within 72 hours. I haven’t seen it make much difference to our spending—most of our students are not going to be watching a film multiple times.

Also, Kanopy has a habit of sending update emails to you when you’re down to a certain percentage of your deposit account. You do have to monitor your spending and respond to the emails to let them know what you want to do. Otherwise, there’s an automated procedure that they go through. Here’s an excerpted example of an update email:

Status of your ppu budget
We have just reached 90% of your ppu budget and we wished to notify you of this. We hoped to confirm if you would like to contribute additional budget to your ppu program.

Next Steps
Please let us know if you wish to (1) add funds and continue the program as is or (2) mediate the program and no longer have access to films you do not currently license. If we do not hear from you, we will mediate your ppu program until you confirm otherwise.

I just tell them that we’re on track with our spending and to keep things as is and will add more funds on July 1.

Lily