[Wactclc-alma] Kanopy DDA

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Jun 4 10:46:40 PDT 2019

Nicole,

Welcome back! So happy to see you!

Both Seattle Central and South Seattle had what I think was Kanopy's PDA program-the one where after more than 3(?) views the library gets charged $120 for a 1 year license-during last fiscal year.

Seattle Central has had an ok experience with it, but they're not thrilled about the cost.

Folks at both Central and South are also not thrilled about the fact that Kanopy videos have no captioning, especially given the cost.

South Seattle had an extremely bad experience with Kanopy, to the point that they're not going to use Kanopy anymore after the remaining licenses expire.  During the first year South was using Kanopy, they had a deposit account set up with Kanopy and new views were blocked when the account limit was reached until the library added more money to the account. During the second year, the library stopped getting notices when the deposit account was close to its limit *and* Kanopy started allowing new views even though the deposit account was overexpended.  By the time South found out the account was overexpended and got Kanopy to turn the program off-and it took several *weeks* for Kanopy staff to respond to attempts to contact them about this-the account was in the hole by 5 figures.  Most of this year's book budget went toward paying last year's Kanopy bill.  If you want to see a librarian get angry, ask my colleagues at South Seattle what they think of Kanopy.

Tulane had similar problems:

Recently, we discovered that Kanopy failed to communicate important budgeting and licensing information to us. This failure on their part, unfortunately, lead to serious problems as we approached the end of the academic and fiscal year
https://library.tulane.edu/news/notes-updates-kanopy

Based on our experiences at Seattle Colleges, I strongly recommend *against*Kanopy's PDA program.

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Service Manager
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu