[Wactclc-alma] Continuation of Loan Limits discussion

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Apr 18 17:25:19 PDT 2018

Dale,

It’s been long enough since I set this up that I couldn’t remember what exactly happens when these items are blocked in Alma.  I had to dig around a bit to refresh my memory. ;)

Just like Nina says, Alma’s response to running into a Limit on the maximum number of items that can be checked out is controlled here:

Configuration >> Fulfillment >> Physical Fulfillment >> Block Preferences

It’s specifically controlled by the line for “Patron loan limit exceeded”

For “Patron loan limit exceeded” we have the Action set to be “Override By Manager.”  With this setting selected, anyone with the Role “Circulation Desk Manager” will get a pop-up box with the option to override like you saw.  Anyone with the Role “Circulation Desk Operator” or “Circulation Desk Operator—Limited” will get the following pop-up box with no override option:

[cid:image002.png at 01D3D738.23465A70]

***Be aware that lines in the Block Preferences table set behavior for any and all transactions where patrons hit a specific limit!!!

So, for example, you can’t decide that you want Circulation Desk Operators to override in a situation where a student wants to check out 21 books (when the max is 20), but not override when a student wants to check out a 2nd laptop (when the max is 1). Either every Circulation Desk Operator can override in any situation where the maximum number of items checked out is exceeded, or every Circulation Desk Operator is prevented from overriding in all situations where the maximum number of items checked out is exceeded.

Said another way, the behavior in the Block Preferences table applies to all the Limits that exist in either the Loan Limit Rules table or the Patron Limits table.

Does this help?

Kirsti