[Wactclc-alma] Work orders

Elena Bianco Elena.Bianco at skagit.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:22:54 PDT 2017

Hi Wade:

I don’t think we want a work order for COURSE at all. This is turning out to be super complicated and might be best teased out with a phone call.

Here’s the story:

We were trying to figure out why certain items in our Course Reserves were not being allowed to check out. Our staff seemed to think that this was because there was a work order attached. She asked if work orders could be disabled so that the items would check out.

So, I went to the work order configurations to see what was happening, and originally there was only one Work Order Department, that was the DEFAULT one you mentioned. That default one had a work order type of Technical Services, attached to it, but the Department Type was listed as COURSE. I assumed that because the Default Work Order Department had the work order type attached to it, and because our  courses had that DEFAULT Department assigned to them as Processing Department, that it was somehow trying to generate a work order.  I tried to delete that department but it wouldn’t let me because courses were attached to it.

So, I created two new departments, the MV COURSE RESERVES and WIC COURSE RESERVES, and then went ahead and changed over every single course from the DEFAULT Processing Department to either MV COURSE RESERVES or WIC COURSE RESERVES so that I could then try to delete the DEFAULT COURSE RESERVES Department and assign a new Department Type that would map to the Technical Services Work Order.

I don’t know if I can add a Department Type of TECHNICAL SERVICES or not, but that’s what I was going to try to do to solve the problem…

Any thoughts on that?

Elena