[Wactclc-alma] New interesting Primo discover regarding serial monographs.

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Jun 14 17:19:03 PDT 2017

Yes, the default date sorting option in Primo is sorting on the publication date in the bib record, so it is working as expected.

Note that custom sorting options can be added to Primo (https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Product_Documentation/Back_Office_Guide/110Additional_Primo_Features/Defining_Local_Sort_Fields )

And would be requestable via an SF ticket.

Off the top of my head, seems like the most proper approach in this case would be to add “from – to” info to the bib records (86x fields, I believe?), and have a sorting option trigger off that field, or a subfield within that field. (I don’t know for sure if a sorting option can be triggered off a holdings statement like that, but seems at least somewhat likely.)

Dale, you could probably post a question to Primo-L, and get a quick answer…. Something like “Is it possible to create a sort option in Primo on a holdings statement within bib records (or whatever the best way to ask that is), so that users can sort serial monographs by the holdings range of the attached holdings, rather than by the general publication date in the bib record?”

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Big Bend Community College

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu>

Big Bend Community College • 7662 Chanute Street NE • Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299