[Wactclc-alma] New interesting Primo discover regarding serial monographs.

Dale Burke dburke at email.edcc.edu
Wed Jun 14 14:13:34 PDT 2017

Yesterday, we discovered that Primo cannot date sort serial monographs
correctly.  We have several serial monographs from RS Means that are
cataloged as items on one serial record for each separate title set;
however, when we do a general title search for RS Means and then try to
sort our results by "date-newest" the results are sorted by the publication
date of the record when it was created rather than sorting by the actual
items we have.

In other words, if we have a serial record for RS Means Building
Construction Cost Data, which has items from multiple years attached
(including 2016), the "date-newest" sort shows this title near the bottom
of the list because the date on the master bibliographic record is 1996.

We are thinking of changing all of our serial monographs to individual
monographs unless there is another way to get around the date sort.

Check your catalogs and see if any of you have the same issue.

Dale Burke
Technical Services Librarian
20000 68th Ave. W
Lynnwood, WA  98036