[LIBRARYDIR] Strategic Planning / Strategic Plans

Bruce Hattendorf BHattendorf at pencol.edu
Thu Jun 15 14:48:54 PDT 2023

Greg asked if I could export the plan as an example. Attached is a pdf of the 2022-23 plan. The one for the upcoming has more direct budget asks in it (like expanding hours for front desk support and making sure funding is provided to the library to support new instructional programming), but that one’s still a little bit of a work in progress. The AAP mention CETL, which is the Center for Equity, Teaching, and Learning, and which is housed in the library, along with the Learning Center and E-Learning.

A couple of comments about this process:

  *   There’s some tension between using it as a budget-request tool and using it as a real program assessment and strategic planning tool. Right now, it tends to be more an ask list for immediate needs than a vehicle for long-term strategic planning.
  *   Our cycle is off. We do these AAPs on an academic year cycle, meaning we do final assessments of the plan in spring and then write the new one for fall. However, our budget planning cycle is on the calendar year. For that, we should be doing the final assessments of the plan in December, so that we can generate the new plan with new resource requests in January, so that Cabinet can review those requests when they do their budget planning in February. I’m hoping we’re going to fix that disconnect in the coming year.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. Not meant to be the ideal model, just what we currently do.

Thanks!
Bruce

Bruce J. Hattendorf, PhD (he/him/his)
Dean, Center for Equity, Teaching and Learning (CETL)
Peninsula College
(360) 417-6238
bhattendorf at pencol.edu