[LIBRARYDIR] [EXTERNAL]Re: End of Quarter Renewals

Tarker, Daniel Daniel.Tarker at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Dec 5 14:56:20 PST 2023

We are dealing with this too. One additional option that has not been mentioned is making it a student conduct issue. We are revising the checkout system for our media center, so students have to initial that they understand the consequences of not returning equipment. (we are currently down 3K in unreturned camera equipment.)

We are also looking into asking the art faculty (those who ask students to use this equipment) to assign an Incomplete to students who don't return their camera, but we are still investigating this option.

I also spoke with the assistant attorney general about this and he alerted me to this information as well:

State and federal law are making it increasingly difficult to withhold student transcripts as a debt collection mechanism.  See, e.g. RCW 28B.10.293 (prohibiting college from withholding transcripts or blocking registration for purposes of collecting debts unrelated to tuition, fees, housing, or financial aid). New federal regulations that go into effect next year prohibit withholding transcripts for any student debt if the credits earned have been paid for with federal financial aid.

Daniel Tarker, MFA, Ed.D.
Dean of the Library and Learning Support Services
North Seattle College
daniel.tarker at seattlecolleges.edu
(206) 934-4754
Schedule a meeting with me on Calendly <https://calendly.com/daniel-tarker/30min>