[DEOC] Northwest Regional Equity Conference (NWREC) 2024 Call for Programs is live!

Neal, Vanessa VNeal at clark.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:39:13 PDT 2023

Hi DEOC Fam-

Please read below (and save the date/spread the word) about the NW Regional Equity Conference that me and my team are hosting!!

We invite you to present at the 5th annual Northwest Regional Equity Conference (NWREC)!  Our virtual conference is scheduled for February 21-23, 2024, and we are in the process of developing our overall agenda and inviting keynote speakers.

We are seeking professionals in education, private sector, government, and non-profit sectors and other individuals who would like to share their equity, justice, diversity, and inclusion knowledge to help remove institutional barriers for historically underrepresented populations.

Complete the online proposal submission form using this link<https://form.asana.com/?k=9GrfcYqqHogLGRKRRObGEA&d=39101053554055>:

See below for more information about the Call for Proposals Process and NWREC 2024

ABOUT NWREC

We are committed to improving equitable, sustainable experiences and outcomes for historically underrepresented students, employees, and community members. While this conference centers higher education, we continue to broaden our scope to include the government, nonprofit and business community in which students and other participants also participate.

This year we are partnering with the Southwest Washington Equity Coalition (SWEC) and their Advancing Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (AREDI) to provide additional workshops focused on equitable policy development and implementation. See more information below in the FAQ.

IMPORTANT DATES

Friday Oct 20: Call For Proposals (CFP) release date

Sunday Nov 12, 11:59pm: Proposal submission deadline

Nov 29: Notification emails regarding workshop acceptance or follow up questions

Dec 6: Deadline to access presentation invitation

Jan 12-30, 2024: Accepted workshop presenters are required to participate in a workshop walk-through with members of our NWREC planning team. Scheduling notifications will be shared in early January.

LEARNING TRACKS

Workshops are not limited to these topics, but we are providing a list of examples as an opportunity to explore issues that may be impactful for participants.

Professional Development

  *   Anti-racist Leadership Development
  *   BIPOC+ retention - more than recruiting and hiring
  *   Critical Race Theory 101 and practical implementation

Cultural Competence, Identities & Intersectionality

  *   Impacts of Intersectionality
  *   Unpacking identity and privilege
  *   Transgender inclusion beyond visibility
  *   Disability justice
  *   Racial/Ethnic identity & culture

Strategies in disrupting harm

  *   Defining what allyship really means and looks like in action
  *   Knowledge into practice
  *   Countering anti-Asian hate, anti-Blackness, antisemitism and Islamophobia

Community Care

  *   Trauma-informed practices
  *   Practices for healing and rest
  *   Student Support
  *   Activism
  *   Care for Colleagues
  *   Joy and celebration

Equitable Decision Making/Equitable Policy Development

  *   Equitable Community Development
  *   History and impact of public policy
  *   Strengthening community partnerships
  *   Best practices in community organizing

Academic and Instruction (equity in K12 and higher ed):

  *   Curricula and program offerings
  *   Grading, evaluations, and assessment (entrance testing)
  *   equitable classroom environments (in-person and virtual)and classroom management

Student and Employee Support

  *   Onboarding (enrollment, recruitment, orientations),
  *   Title IX,
  *   Conduct and bias-based incidents,
  *   Programming, student life, student clubs
  *   Counseling and health
  *   Disability support, veterans, immigrants and undocumented students,
  *   Student employment
  *   Student or employee retention strategies, student success, advising, financial supports, multicultural student support,
  *   Employee resource or affinity groups

Other Topic Area: What did we miss? If there is something not listed that you want to bring forward, please submit a proposal on that topic. We recognize the wisdom of the whole and the strength of holding a generative space.

ABOUT NWREC WORKSHOPS

  *   All workshops are 90 minutes in length.
  *   NWREC will be a fully virtual conference again in 2024, and all workshops will be presented over Zoom through the Whova platform.
  *   NWREC will provide registration fee waivers for up to two (2) presenters per workshop. The zoom link for your session will be provided for additional presenters, but to attend the rest of the conference they will need to purchase their own registration.
  *   We welcome any presenters who are interested in presenting in a language other than English. If you are looking to present in Spanish, Russian, or another language, please let us know in your program proposal!
  *   Presenter agreements - please review<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_r2inJA3mnVJyPi4NC_2lraRdnSvealU54UHOw2FTqQ/edit?usp=sharing>. Presenters will be asked to confirm the agreements as part of your acceptance as a presenter into the conference.

ACCESSIBILITY CONSIDERATIONS

Only fully accessible platforms such as PowerPoint or Google Slides should be used.

Please ensure your presentation is checked for accessibility/universal design. (For example, alt-text for images/graphics, add or turn on captions for videos, check color contrast.)

Please consider mobility for activities to ensure equitable presentations.

If you choose to present your workshop in a language other than English, please let the committee know and we will explore options for interpretation.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

  1.  What is required from workshop presenters?

     *   Participation in a workshop walk-through session in January. This session is intended to support the development of your workshop to meet the needs of participants and ensure alignment with NWREC purpose and values.

     *   Integrate accessibility considerations to your materials and other content.

  1.  How interactive does my session need to be?

     *   Successful workshops include some form of participant engagement to support various learning styles. There's no set formula, but our team is available to support you in identifying opportunities for participant engagement.

  1.  What is the purpose of the walkthrough?

     *   The workshop walkthrough is intended to support the development of your workshop to meet the needs of participants and ensure alignment with NWREC purpose and values. The format usually consists of a high level review and discussion of your content, learning outcomes, participant engagement strategies, and accessibility needs.

  1.  What are the important deadlines/timelines?

     *   Friday Oct 20: Call For Proposals (CFP) release date

     *   Sunday Nov 12, 11:59pm: Proposal submission deadline

     *   Nov 29: Notification emails regarding workshop acceptance or follow up questions

     *   Dec 6: Deadline to access presentation invitation

     *   Dec 6-Jan 15: Be sure to register for the conference and complete your bio

     *   Jan 12-30, 2024: Accepted workshop presenters are required to participate in a workshop walk-through with members of our NWREC planning team. Scheduling notifications will be shared in early January.

  1.  How can I share my meeting materials to support accessibility?

     *   Once you register for the conference, you can upload your meeting materials to your workshop page using the Whova platform. More information will be sent after workshops are confirmed and reviewed in the session walk-throughs. We recommend uploading materials no later than Feb 20

  1.  Will the workshop be recorded?

     *   We have made the decision to not record individual workshops. This is done to promote workshops as a space where participants feel empowered to engage authentically without worrying about comments or reactions being recorded and shared publicly later.

  1.  What accessibility features are available?

     *   Captions via Zoom's automated caption feature will be available in all sessions

     *   Upon request we can discuss options to provide interpretation for ASL, Real-time captioning, or other languages.

     *   Uploading accessible workshop materials prior to sessions will also allow attendees to download and have materials ready.

  1.  Do presenters get paid for their workshop?

     *    We are unable to provide financial compensation for the workshop presentations. However, we do offer complimentary registrations to participate in the 3-day conference for up to two (2) presenters.

  1.  Who do I contact if I have questions?

     *   Please reach out to our team at nwrec at clark.edu<mailto:nwrec at clark.edu>

  1.  Who is SWEC? What is AREDI?

     *   Founded in 2016 to address the real fear of racialized violence throughout southwest Washington and in Clark County, SWEC's mission is to advance racial equity through dismantling structural white supremacy, creating transformational action, and advocating for our community. SWEC remains rooted in Re-Indigenization, Black liberation, and the emancipation of oppressed immigrants and Ancestral Americans.

Leaders of SWEC represent a cross-sector group of organizations and community leaders seeking to advance racial equity through policy advocacy, institutional change, and creating an inclusive culture. SWEC has identified the need to nurture relationships between racial equity leaders and provide healing and resiliency support for Black, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Latinx and other people of color (BIPOC), as well individuals possessing other historically non-dominant social identities, in our region.  You can learn more here<https://swecwa.org/about/>.

AREDI  stands for Advancing Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Originally hosted in 2021-22 as a 12-month series of virtual teach-ins, the purpose of AREDI is to educate community members about the issues facing our communities of color and culture, provide opportunities to learn about implementing equitable policies and practices, and provide spaces for leaders of color to convene and collaborate in transformative relationship.

  1.  What is the purpose of the NWREC/AREDI partnership?

The relationship between Clark College and SWEC has been in existence since SWEC's formation seven years ago. Various members of the Clark College community have worked to support SWEC in myriad ways, from being a founding member to facilitating trainings during the first AREDI webinar series.

In 2024, SWEC is partnering with Clark College's Northwest Regional Equity Conference (NWREC) to provide an additional genre of learning experiences with AREDI-focused topics. This is an example of partnership that fosters community and generative collaboration.

SWEC's AREDI workshops will provide participants with opportunities to learn about how elected officials, government employees and even non-profit leaders can engage in creating equitable policies, from staffing and hiring practices to community planning and legislative proposals. The workshops also intend to offer leaders of color and culture an opportunity to be in community with each other in supportive spaces, learning about adaptive leadership skills, community building, and ways to navigate predominantly white spaces while caring for, and celebrating, their own identities.

Please contact us at nwrec at clark.edu<mailto:nwrec at clark.edu> if you have any questions!

 With gratitude
Clark College Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and the NWREC Planning Team