[ctcLinkfinaidsupport] QCS_FA_MASS_EFC_NOT_CALCD query has been updated to include Zero EFC students so those using QCS_FA_NEED_TERM_OVERAWARDED do not get SQL errors!

Deborah Englehardt denglehardt at sbctc.edu
Tue Oct 17 15:27:36 PDT 2023

Good afternoon FA!

I'm not sure how all the FA offices stay updated on query modifications but QCS_FA_MASS_EFC_NOT_CALCD was updated and information about it was sent to the Reporting Listserv on Monday. 😊

QCS_FA_MASS_EFC_NOT_CALCD  has been updated to include students who have EFC of 0 that need 'Calc EFC' selected so you can run QCS_FA_NEED_TERM_OVERAWARDED.

We had a lovely FA user reach out and ask why those with EFC 0s are suddenly populating. It seems odd because those with 0 EFCs correctly have a Prorated EFC of 0, yes?

Let me give you a summary of why the query needed to be updated! 😃

We had a college that uses the QCS_FA_NEED_TERM_OVERAWARDED query submit a ticket saying the query is going to a SQL error.
Turns out the source of the SQL error were 0 EFC students not captured in Mass EFC Calc.
It was interesting since Primary EFC = 0 and Prorated EFC = 0 match so what's the problem?
QCS_FA_NEED_TERM_OVERAWARDED references the monthly EFC table (1-Month EFC, 2-Month EFC, 3-Month EFC, etc.) Even though the values will all be zeroes for a 0 EFC student, the query requires numbers to be in there even if they are all 0s. Selecting the 'Calc EFC' populates that table for the student allowing the query to run successfully! Our equation engines and FA pages pull the Primary or Prorated EFC so it wasn't until a user ran QCS_FA_NEED_TERM_OVERAWARDED that we found out even 0 EFC students needed to be cleaned up!

I'm so sorry for the confusion!

Thank you!

[Compass]Deborah Englehardt

Senior Functional Analyst, Campus Solutions (Financial Aid)

1300 Quince Street SE

Olympia, WA 98504-2495

denglehardt at sbctc.edu<mailto:denglehardt at sbctc.edu> • O: 360-704-3979

sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>