[Wsssc] [EXTERNAL] Support for office closure

Smith, Karl ksmith at tacomacc.edu
Fri May 17 09:27:09 PDT 2024

Dear Kimberly and members of FAC,

Thank you, for your email and for providing the detailed context regarding the Financial Aid Council's (FAC) needs from June 10th to 28th. Your insights have been invaluable in our discussions.

The Vice Presidents for Student Services have discussed the Financial Aid Council Office Closure proposal. We reached a consensus and will recommend that all offices statewide close for SBCTC Webex sessions. These closures will enable our teams to participate fully in these essential training and support activities.

However, we did not agree on the proposal for a three-week office closure. The primary challenge lies in different colleges' varied campus cultures and organizational structures. For example, some campuses operate "one-stop" centers that address student questions while allowing financial aid staff dedicated processing time. Others utilize telework days to achieve the same goal. These differences make it challenging to establish a uniform approach to office closures.

We deeply appreciate FAC's understanding of these complexities, and we want to assure FAC that we will continue to advocate for solutions that best support the needs of our Financial Aid offices while respecting each campus's unique operations.

Thank you for your continued leadership and dedication.

Best regards,

Karl Smith  (he/him/his)
Vice President of Student Affairs
Tacoma Community College